cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

_sfe:BeforeOrAfterText - Make it go away

gstuckey
1-Newbie

_sfe:BeforeOrAfterText - Make it go away

Hi All,

I'm sure I'll have lots of basic questions so please bear with me. I am trying to change the title in chapter. We don't use chapter numbers so I did the right thing, turn off numbering on the Gentext tab. However, it didn't go away. I did notice that there is a styler formatted element, _sfe:BeforeOrAfterText. After displaying the styler formatted element in the Styler window, I can't change it in any way and when I delete the element, the tags are still visible. The XML namespace points back to www.arbortext.com/namespace/.... I can't delete the tags. So my questions are:

1. Why is it that I cannot change or delete these tags?
  2. How do I get rid of it, remove the rule, and delete the spacing.

I did search the board before asking but I didn't see this question asked.

Ginger Shew-Stuckey

8 REPLIES 8

Forgot to add that I am using the axdocbook DTD.

G.

I am not a Styler expert, nor do I play one on TV. I am guessing that the rules for modifying Styler stylesheets are similar to the rules for FOSI, i.e. you cannot modify the stylesheet that exists in your doctype folder. You must make a copy of the stylesheet and put it in the same folder with your document instance, then after you modify that one, replace the doctype stylesheet with the one you modified.
However, the rules might be different for Styler.

Well, same provisos (provisi ?) as Ed, but...

Re' FOSI updates, using Architect allows us to modify the doctype folder directly. I would expect using Styler to work the same.

YMMV,
Steve T

The problem is that I can't change it in Styler at all. It has no style associated with it and the option to associate a style are disabled. There is also another styler formatted element call Gentext with the same issue, no style and styles disabled. As a matter of fact, all of the styler fomatted elements are disabled.

I have Architect but I don't remember how to override the SFEs or it isn't possible to override those.

Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong anyway. My books are parts lists and they have anywhere from 200 to 400 pages with an illustration on the left page and the parts list on the right page. I never intended to place all of my chapters in one book. I'm starting with a book element and that's fine. I need a title page, I need a TOC for each chapter. I don't necessarily need to use chapter as the element I use for each individual parts list two-page spread though it would be easier because the TOC is set up to use chapter titles. But I should be able to change that shouldn't I? I should be able to have the TOC use title in article instead of title in chapter. Does that sound right to anyone?

Sorry, I'm doing some stream of consciousness thinking and I don't really have anyone here to bounce around ideas.

Ginger

Ginger,

Numbering on chapter is applied for 3 different outputs. Remove numbering from 3 differernt "Outputs to edit." Remove it from Base (all uses) and from Arbortext Editor and from Print/pdf views. This is why its really nice to be able to do one thing and have it work in all cases. But, in this case it wasn't done that way.

Also, remember that print changes won't take place when editing with Architect. Be sure you are using Editor/Styler to do this.

Let us know if this doesn't work, or if you need more information,
Trudy

Trudy,

Thank you so very much. I was so frustrated. Next time I'll know to pay attention to that. Is there a reference that can tell me what I need to know or is it just experience? Just based on my limited understanding, it would seem logical to me that all formatting is derived from the Base (All Uses) property settings. I suppose I was thinking thatderivation cascades,kind of like a cascading style sheet, from the top level element, book.Maybe it is just different terminology and I haven't learned the language yet.

Ginger

Actually, the derivation stuff can get a bit complex. It should all work
as you expect (eg. deriving down the element hierarchy), but there are
certain properties that the derivation won't apply to, and also you then
have the different output types that may have been tweaked. Not
forgetting that property sets and conditions can also affect the
derivations that end up being in effect.

If I run into real trouble with Styler I often just edit the .style file
manually (eg. in a text or XML editor). It's plain XML and fairly easy
to understand. In this case you would have been able to simply remove
the offending _sfe: if it was causing you problems.

Cheers,
Gareth

Ginger Stuckey wrote:
> Trudy,
>
> Thank you so very much. I was so frustrated. Next time I'll know to pay
> attention to that. Is there a reference that can tell me what I need to
> know or is it just experience? Just based on my limited understanding,
> it would seem logical to me that all formatting is derived from the Base
> (All Uses) property settings. I suppose I was thinking that derivation
> cascades, kind of like a cascading style sheet, from the top level
> element, book. Maybe it is just different terminology and I haven't