cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Create part name in a note

sloman
1-Newbie

Create part name in a note

How can I get the part name in a note? I have tried &model_name, but then the name of the assembly is displayed.

Knipsel.PNG

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:sloman)

Another way to do this is to find the part's session id.

Open the relations dialog (Tools tab > relations) and then pick Show > Session ID, pick Park in the pop up menu and then pick the part in question on screen. The session ID will be shown in the message area. Then create a note with this text '&model_name:ID where ID is the number you just found.

Another method would be to create a user parameter in your part tied to the file name. Enter the relation file_name = rel_model_name in the part's relation and then use &file_name:att in your note attached to the model.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

If your note is attached to the edge of the model in question (and not an edge created by a section, for example), you shoudl be abel to use &model_name:att).

--
LinkedIn
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:dgschaefer)

Doug,

Is the ":att" the number of the model in the assembly? How do you find that number?

Thanks, Dale

Doug,

Ik cut and paste your command in my note, but it doesn't work. I have selected on entity and on surface. Knipsel.PNG

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Off the top of my head I believe the syntax is: &model_name:att_mdl

Hmm, I've always used the ':att' suffix and it has worked. Proe / Creo will convert it to :att_mdl.

I just tried both in Creo 2 and they don't work. Opened the same drawing in WF4 and it didn't work there either.

I tried it again using a user created parameter and it worked fine. I guess it doesn't work with system parameters. Odd.

--
LinkedIn
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Another way to do this is to find the part's session id.

Open the relations dialog (Tools tab > relations) and then pick Show > Session ID, pick Park in the pop up menu and then pick the part in question on screen. The session ID will be shown in the message area. Then create a note with this text '&model_name:ID where ID is the number you just found.

Another method would be to create a user parameter in your part tied to the file name. Enter the relation file_name = rel_model_name in the part's relation and then use &file_name:att in your note attached to the model.

--
LinkedIn

Doug!

It works, thank you!

Knipsel.PNG

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

What method did you use - the ID?

VladimirPalffy
13-Aquamarine

Hi,

...if I need to check the corect information "att_mdl" for note in drawing - I create "fake relation" in assembly mode - system automatically create for me information (behind parameter in relation) and then I can use this number to my note in drawing

For example:

note.JPG

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Now I have made a "mapkey" to search for the session ID. In the mapkey is also the command for making the note. It takes seconds to place the part numbers in a assembly.

VladimirPalffy
13-Aquamarine

I like mapkeys too -

Here is some Trisks with Mapkeys and video Hide custom Layers with Mapkeys

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Nice! Personally, I would have gone with the parameter & relation so that the note is tied to the part it's attached to but either way works.

BTW - I have a good friend named Stefon Lowman.

--
LinkedIn

don't mean to thread hijack 😉

is there something similar for zone locators?

VladimirPalffy
13-Aquamarine

I have created idea for new release

What do you think? Vote here: Enable Show/Hide Session ID in Model Tree

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

For some reason I have found that I have to enter the parameter in lowercase &model_name and uppercase &MODEL_NAME does not work. For multi-part drawings, whatever model I have active, ProE / Creo will append the correct number at the end e.g. &model_name:12

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags