cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

How to link sub assy skeleton model to top assy skeleton..?

ptc-4586287
1-Newbie

How to link sub assy skeleton model to top assy skeleton..?

Hello friends

I am working on one project called platforming. I need to creat lot of sub assemblies (module) using skeleton model (topdown approach). That i have created .

My one more friend working on upper top assembly with (full skeleton model) where my all sub assemblies will go and assemble.

Now my challenge is to link my individual sub assembly skeletons to top assembly skeleton so that what modification that i do in the sub assy skeleton that has to be reflect in top assembly..

Dear friends, please can any one help me to achive this.. its urgent.

Thanks in advance

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

I didnot work to that depth with skeleton however I worked with sub assemblies in several workstations and main assembly in one. I used to create sub assemblies by top down approach with having same references. later open the sub assemblies in different computer. Work and update sub assemblies and then upload in the main assemblie folder/workstation. Since pro/e retrive the latest version so save and rename with update version no of sub assemblies.. But the references has to be opted from main skelton for this technique.

Regards,

Jayanta Sarkar

It greatly depends on how you want the modifications to behave, so you'll have to be more specific. In general, for a purely top down approach, all common references between subassemblies have a higher level skeleton.

Take, for instance, a car. You have a headlight module and a body module. Both would reference a higher level skeleton that defines the interface between the two. If the headlight needs to change in size, you change the top level skeleton and the changes flow from top to bottom.

More specifically, the top level skeleton might have an axis, point, datums, and/or surfaces that define the headlight location as well as features that represent the interfacing headlight size. The top level skeleton has publish geometries for those references and the headlight and body modules have copy geometry features that bring those references into the models. The models are built around these references and later assembled to the car assembly using a default constraint (unless it is something like a bolt that gets assembled to multiple locations). The headlight module can change in detail (more lightbulbs, LEDs, colors, etc.) as long as they stay within the scope of the skeleton reference to be sure that everything still fits with respect to other modules (i.e. the body module). The top level assembly will reflect the changes that occur within the module but if a scope change needs to occur, it happens at a higher level skeleton and flows down from there.

If you really need parameters and dimensions from a lower level passed upwards, then you'll need use a notebook to gather the references and link it to the assemblies, models, etc.

A nice example, Eric, all depends on your design intent.

The headlight assembly could have a skeleton itself covering the inner details as bulb position, reflector position etc as there may be different types of headlights e.g. halogen or Xenon which fit into the same car but have different structures. You dont want these details in your car skeleton.

The outer contour (front glass) and assembly constraints will come from the top skeleton.

So careful planning is required.

Reinhard

Thank you Eric for your guide lines ....

For my knowledge i am asking, is that possible to control top level skeleton by lower level skeletons..?

you said somthing about notebook.. If you do't mind can you breif on that?

Thanks in advance

A notebook is nothing more than a blank drawing that you can add notes, relations, and unrelated sketches to. The real power comes from being able to create parameters in the drawing and link part/assembly dimensions to parameters or notes in the notebook. It's a way to convey your design intent for a top-down driven model and to control the top level aspects of your model from one location.

Easy to create....New --> notebook. Then declare your models and other notebooks to it. Start adding information and relate your parameters and dimensions to them.

So in essence you can pass lower level intent upwards but that's not usually the way things are done. What are your reasons for making a top-down paradigm bottom-up?

Top Tags