Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reference model replacement of merged component with parent assembly

Re: Reference model replacement of merged component with parent assembly

Hi Brian,

"...I'm not sure if this same feature is available using the on-the-fly tool but it's worth a look."

As ytou abs.correctly mentioned, both methods are almost similar. The two differences are :

1. Interchange assembly will provide auto-tagging only after user suggests context assembly for references collection. Pros : user can TAG a model in context of several assemblies. Cons : user has to know these assemblies upfront.

Same time "unrelated replace" pairing table will only analyse references in scope of top assembly in current window - not more and not less. If the only purpoce is "immediate usage" go with this one ; if you know you will need to Replace this model in other places as well - better go to Interchange Assembly.

2. Interchange assembly and its members create bi - directional dependency (in PDM) that many users see as problematic. Interchange assembly pulls its members with it, but members also pull Int Asm upon check out / in. Definitely no dependecies are created if "unrelated replace" is used.

3. I am not fully confident about this (need to check), but I think there is a way to convert "pairing table" to full blown Interchange object at any stage to allow its reuse.

In your latest post I noted one side note, that I wanted to ask some clarification about : "also, I brought the entire issue of merges not automatically updating (from the other thread) to PTC at the face-to-face Technical Committee meetings in January. I requested a toggle switch or other option that would allow the merges to automatically update."

Can you elaborate in which situation you get Merges not updating ? In general Merges and Inheritance Features always update when they "see" base model in session, so likely you get into some special case ...

Regards

- Vlad

Re: Reference model replacement of merged component with parent assembly

Brian,

Did you know if anything every come of your request to add a toggle switch for updating Merge components automatically (which would work when using PDMLInk and those components which make up the merges objects are not checkout)?

Thanks!

Lawrence