cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Choice Field Depending on Parent Choice Field

rattmice
12-Amethyst

Choice Field Depending on Parent Choice Field

In Codebeamer 2.1.0.1, I have a tracker called "Input", a tracker called "Output", and a tracker called "Result" (names have been changed for sake of this question).  Input has a downstream trace to both Output and Result and Output has a downstream trace to Result.

The Result has 2 choice fields for the relationships to Input and Output called Input Trace and Output Trace.  The Output Trace also "depends on" the setting of Input Trace and the "union" is true.

When creating a Result item from scratch both of those trace fields will be empty.  I can select the Input Trace values and the Output Trace list will be filtered accordingly and I can save the item.

However, I do also want to be able to create a downstream reference directly from an Output item using the "R+" button.  This will automatically fill in the Output Trace field to the item from which I clicked the R+ button but the Input Trace field is empty.  I cannot save the item as-is because of the depends on nature of the Output Trace field.  I can manually select some upstream Input in the Input Trace field that is a parent of the Output item and that will satisfy the rules and I can save the new Result item.

Is there any way for the Input Trace field to also be filled in using the R+ gesture?  It would require traversing the upstream references from the Output item and putting those in the list.

1 REPLY 1

Hi @rattmice ,

I think I found a possible solution.

First, I used Reference dependency for the Output Trace of Result tracker.

Since Output has an upstream reference to Input, you can set the proper relations in the Output items, and you can use this as dependency on the Result tracker:

EvaBertalan_0-1723213891982.png

The upstream reference from Output to Input is "Input from Output" in my case.

So these are the rules:

EvaBertalan_1-1723213991187.png

The rules will work when creating new item from scrach as before.

If you create it as downstream reference from an Output item, then you will need a workflow action to set the Input Trace automatically.

EvaBertalan_2-1723214144431.png

This is activated on the Submit state transition, choiceList[3] is the Output Trace field on Result tracker, choiceList[2] is the Input from Output field on the Output tracker.

The condition makes sure that this update will be executed only if Output Trace is given, and Input trace is empty:

EvaBertalan_3-1723214303458.png

When creating the downstream reference (with R+) the Input Trace will be empty and read-only first.

EvaBertalan_4-1723214395291.png

If you save the new item, Input Trace will be filled automatically.

EvaBertalan_5-1723214452601.png

I hope this is what you're looking for.

Kind regards, Eva

Announcements

Top Tags