cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

3DConnexion ergonomics

David_M
5-Regular Member

3DConnexion ergonomics

I've been looking at the 3DConnexion range recently. It comes down to the SpaceNavigator or the SpaceMouse Pro. The SpaceMouse is marketed as the more ergonomic product because it has a wrist support.

I know enough about wrists to know that products which put your wrist flat on the table aren't very ergonomic. I am lead to believe that the cheaper SpaceNavigator would be the superior product since it looks like it could be used with a vertical wrist position.

If anyone uses ergonomic HID devices and has used 3DConnexion products, please could you share your experience?

Thank you

10 REPLIES 10

I have the spacenavigator and you are right; your wrist is not resting on the table.

JoshH
3-Visitor
(To:David_M)

I have the older Space Explorer. The ergonomics work extremely well for me. The button placement takes a little time to get used to. The ALT, SHIFT and CTRL buttons are huge bonuses. It is very similar to the Space Mouse Pro.

I've also used the Space Navigator. It does allow me better control over my models and quicker manipulation. I don't like the ergonomics. It always makes my hand feel cramped, kind of like using a really small travel mouse. The fact that it is easy to pick up, really annoys me.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:JoshH)

Which Space Navigator did you use, Josh? They have one for notebooks which is smaller and lighter. I use the original which is much bigger than a travel mouse.

I even emailed 3D-Connexion about the notebook version and the reply was quite forthcoming about the travel version being too light at half the weight of the original.

I use the larger version with wrist pad and buttons.

The travel one is the version that I really didn't like. It was still better than mouse-only.

I use the larger version with wrist pad and buttons.

The travel one is the version that I really didn't like. It was still better than mouse-only.

do you have any special settings in your Config file or the settings in the Navigator control panel?

I just got one last week, it's taking me a little getting used to, I wish it was even heavier. 😉

I rarely use the buttons. I have them programmed. One I know is control, but forget what the other one is.

I am on a glass surface, so suction cups would be great. A little double sticky tape would go a long way to keeping it in place. Maybe a rubber mat? Or even a girdle attached to the table that captures the cable for rotation control. Now you got me thinking about a nice little aftermarket product

David_M
5-Regular Member
(To:David_M)

I should clarify that my concern is with the horizontal wrist position which it seems like the SpaceMouse encourages. The absence of a wrist support on the SpaceNavigaor seems to be preferable as it might accomodate a vertical wrist position.

I'd say the SpaceNav is the middle of the two examples.

This is pretty accurate to how it fits me:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41fJCGBcODL._SX385_.jpg

The older Space Explorer is the one I have with the wrist pad. It's difficult to show, but my palm rests on the rubber pad at the base. My palm probably rests at about a 30 degree angle naturally. Overall, it feels very comfortable. Sometimes the buttons are a little goofy to reach though. I haven't tried the sideways "Good wrist position".

IMAG0191.jpg

The "travel" space navigator is shown below. The position is just awkward to me. I have felt irritation in my wrist with this device.

IMAG0193.jpg

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags