cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Adding today's date to a table

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Adding today's date to a table

Hopefully this is a simple one just before a holiday.

I have a table that I update everyday to correct the date for the current (today's) date.

I use is up to 30X per day, so I save it to reduce the re-entering of the date.

Is there a way to save the table with a field or parameter so that when I bring it back in, it will automatically put in today's date?

I have done this before with sheet set ups, but not with a specific table.

Thanks,

Dale

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Just got the results from what I tried and it worked. If you want to insert a table from a file that inserts the date when you put it on a drawing you need to create and save the table from within the FORMAT environement.

The second thing I tried was in response to people wanting a date that updated each day for keeping track of drawing changes. Although this doesn't update automatically with a refresh of the drawing sheet but it does work for updating the date each day. I created a variable text note symbol for the date. The variable text variable uses the &todays_date parameter as a predefined value. You can place this on a drawing although it can't be directly inserted into a table. To update the date select the symbol text and double click on it and a parameter value dialog will open with the current days date. You can also just double click on the text symbol or use the right mouse menu to open the symbol properties dialog box. Selecting okay will cause the date to update. If you type in a value it causes the value to no longer update with &todays_date but keeps the last value entered. You can open the symbol properties dialog and change it use &todays_date again. I tired this in WF5 and Creo 1.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Hello Dale, you can create a parameter named "&todays_date" in the table .

Thanks!

Hugo

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:HugoBarosa)

Hugo,

When I add the parameter to the properties, it places the date in the table. Then when I open the properties of cell of the table, it already has the date, and not the parameter. Is there a way to edit the table outside of a drawing? Typically I modify the table and then resave.

Or is there something else that I am missing?

Thanks,

Dale

The parameter "&todays_date" takes in the system date, converts it into a text. Hence, it does not update. Another alternative is to remove the date from the table and instead print the drawing to PDF with Label ON. This would generate a PDF file with the current date.

Capture.JPG

Capture_1.JPG

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:s.iyer)

Once it is in the drawing, I do not want it to update. It will stay that date. But I cannot update the table, save the table and re-insert the table because the parameter disappears.

I think I may have found some solutions to both inserting the value in a table and having the value on a drawing update but because of when I started, 1 AM, it will be tomorrow before I know for sure. So far it appears that the way I'm doing things keeps the parameter from being converted to text. I'll let you know what I get.

Hello!

You can try this, create a txt file where you type a relation ( DATE="2012-07-04" ).
Create a mapkey to read the relation file txt that you just create.
Every day you start to work you change the date in the txt file.
When you are in part before creating the drawing file you execute the mapkey.

Not the clever solution...but it works because it's what i do.

I forgot to tell you that u have to create a &DATE parameter in the table in your formats

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:HugoBarosa)

Hugo,

When you say that you have to create the &date parameter in the table in your formats, are you talking about editing the stand alone table? If so, I think this is what I need. How would you edit a table outside of editing it in a drawing and saving it out?

Thanks,

Dale

Dale, when you add a "&something" in a table inside of a format and you create a drawing with that format Creo will look in the 3d part if you have that "something" in parameters and will output that value if exist, if not exist a popup window will appear to ask you what value you want for the parameter "something" right after you create the drawing. Assuming that you have created the makpkey to read a outside txt file for relations, the parameter "something" is already there with the value of the date you have changed in the txt file.

1º Open 3D part, run mapkey ( a parameter named DATE will be in your relations with the value of 2012-07-05).

2º Create a drawing from that 3D part with your format ( your fomat should have in the date place this value "&DATE")

3 Creo will look for a paremeter DATE in the part and output the value in table

If you have any more question just ask.

Just got the results from what I tried and it worked. If you want to insert a table from a file that inserts the date when you put it on a drawing you need to create and save the table from within the FORMAT environement.

The second thing I tried was in response to people wanting a date that updated each day for keeping track of drawing changes. Although this doesn't update automatically with a refresh of the drawing sheet but it does work for updating the date each day. I created a variable text note symbol for the date. The variable text variable uses the &todays_date parameter as a predefined value. You can place this on a drawing although it can't be directly inserted into a table. To update the date select the symbol text and double click on it and a parameter value dialog will open with the current days date. You can also just double click on the text symbol or use the right mouse menu to open the symbol properties dialog box. Selecting okay will cause the date to update. If you type in a value it causes the value to no longer update with &todays_date but keeps the last value entered. You can open the symbol properties dialog and change it use &todays_date again. I tired this in WF5 and Creo 1.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Kevin)

I was on the phone with one of my techs about another issue, and I had him walk me through putting this in the table in the format environment. Now I do not have to update the table everyday for the current date. A big thanks to everyone who contributed to helping me resolve this.

Thanks,

Dale

Process:

File -> New -> Format

Import the table

Add &todays_date to the cell

Save out the table

Close without saving

Test the table

It worked.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags