cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Brain Check request

DeanLong
10-Marble

Brain Check request

Can you guys help verify whether or not Ihave gone crazy?

In Creo2 I am trying to measuredistance from one vertex to another vertex of asame planar spline.In other words, the two ends of a squiggly curve.

The message I get back is "This measurement cannot be performed for the given set of references" Huh?

I can get a measurement from one end verex to the CSYS but not from end to end. My curve is located and dimensioned with Strong dims so it's located in space.

weird stuff this morning.

16 REPLIES 16
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:DeanLong)

It works in WF5 (creo zero). Not in Creo 2.

But I suspect you have also gone crazy.

Dean,

Using the control key select the curve, then select the start or end vertex of the of the curve. In the projection field select the projection featureand also check the maximum distance.

David Brainsky
Certified PTC Instructor
Chula Vista, Ca. 91910

Confirmed....David's suggestion is the correct one. Select measure tool, select curve, hold CNTL, select the vertex, select drop down in flyout, check maximum distance, select the second vertex.

Glad to see it still works. But...now 5-7 mouce clicks to get a straight line dimension was not what I expected to be required to get a simple measurement. Ah...the Creo!

Thanks David.

Very intuitive.

/sarcasm

Not so weird as just something that should be fixed by PTC. Here is a work around. Place a circle at each end point of your spline. You can then measure circle to circle.

Ron

Another solution: The end of the curve is selectable two different ways. One (the first one selectable) is the end of the entire curve; the second (after a RMB) is the end of the segment. A measurement from curve end to curve end isn't possible, but if one is a segment end it works. The same thing is true even if the curve is all straight lines.

Why? I dunno, seems like a bug to me.

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
cpipe
3-Visitor

Now I know where PTC put some of the mouse clicks that they gladly tell they took away from other operations with Creo.

There must be a universal law of conservation of mouse clicks, like the law of conservation of mass:

The total clicks of the universe is constant within measurable limits of PTC products; whenever PTC products undergo a change, the total clicks of the upgrade is, within measurable limits, the same as the total clicks of all previous versions.

Chris Pipe<">mailto:->
Eng. Sys. Analyst
trans-matic

All very cliquish to me...

In Reply to Chris Pipe:

Now I know where PTC put some of the mouse clicks that they gladly tell they took away from other operations with Creo.

There must be a universal law of conservation of mouse clicks, like the law of conservation of mass:

The total clicks of the universe is constant within measurable limits of PTC products; whenever PTC products undergo a change, the total clicks of the upgrade is, within measurable limits, the same as the total clicks of all previous versions.

Chris Pipe<
Eng. Sys. Analyst
trans-matic

We have not gone to Creo.

The problems I see going by here are unfathomable.

This one of Dean's, the MOST unbelievable thing I've seen.
I use measure distance about 100,000 times a day.

How will you ever get any work done with ~6 mouse clicks to do a simple measure.

What if you want the measure results per a CSYS? Is it then 8 mouse clicks?

In Creo 2.0, pick the Measure Summary option, select the curve, then using the Ctrl Key pick one end vertex. You will get the X, Y, znd Z coordinates of the vertex, the Curve Length, and the Maximum Distance all in once screen. 3 picks including the selection of the Summary icon

If I were to pick the other vertex I still get the overall Curve Length and the Maximum Distance measurement but my X, Y, Z coordinates change to the other vertex location values

[cid:image008.jpg@01CE8390.FD9A7310]

Mike Brattoli
Moen Incorporated
Global Product Development Process Management
Administrator - PLM
25300 Al Moen Drive
North Olmsted, OH 44070

Mathew,

The way I was pickingto measure the distancemade it require more clicks than is needed demonstrated by Mike's clarification. Operator error.It is really about the same number of clicks as Wildfire releases to measure things.

Also, don't be scared of moving to Creo. All in all...I see some good things that have evolved into Creo2. Some of the GUI "logic" is still a bit odd to me. But I realize it made sense to someone and that means logic was used. I just need to get in tune with it. The white background is something I cannot live with as it hurts my eyes. Also the dull gray solid model default is just plain depressing. I will be changing that as well.

Change is okay.

Thanks Mike for the ruling.

this sounds exactly correct.

you should win a Noble Prize.

My pleasure Dean

I too agree with your observations about Creo. We went from Wildfire 5 to Creo 2 and I did a lot of research with our users about what they liked and disliked about the new UI, background colors, etc.... I definitely got an ear full but I also heard the message that they really did like where PTC was going with the solution. I had to customize some things (the vast majority wanted the old gradient blue background so that's what we have by default - if someone wants white, green, or any other color they can change it), customize some of the ribbon menus, and of course, change a LOT of global mapkeys :)!!!

I teach Creo at the college level (started 17 years ago with release 15 of Pro/E) as well as support it here at Moen. It's definitely not perfect (why the command search isn't all encompassing for all areas of the application I really, really don't understand for example) but having been to Needham and being on the technical committees for many years I know they are putting a lot of thought into what they are doing. I don't always agree with the thought processes - sort of like dealing with my users 🙂

Mike Brattoli
Moen Incorporated
Global Product Development Process Management
Administrator - PLM
25300 Al Moen Drive
North Olmsted, OH 44070

Mathew,

The measure tool is actually one of the biggest improvements in Creo. Click measure (summary), click an item and Creo will tell you pretty much everything it knows about it. Hold control and pick another, and it'll tell you all it knows about both together. If one is a line, planar surface or cylinder you can choose if to use it as an line, plane or center. A lot of info in a few clicks.

Back in WF3 when PTC made a mess of the measure tool, a lot of us told PTC to look at SW's measure tool. They did, and delivered a tool that's far superior. In SW I now wish it had the Creo capabilities.

This is the first odd scenario I've found with it, and if you use Mike's method (or the method I posted earlier) it's not bad at all. What I'm saying is don't be afraid of Creo based on what you read here, it's overall an improvement over WF5 and earlier.

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

PTC is not interested in how engineers work.
They are interested in getting engineers to work PTC's way.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags