cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Dome with square underside

sslootman
1-Newbie

Dome with square underside

Hello,

For a project I need to create a shape exactly like the picture I added. I've been trying to create it with solids or surfaces but I didn't succeed.

I've been searching in the PTC community and youtube but I didn't find the answer to my question, so now I'm trying this way. Can anyone help me to create this shape in Creo 2.0?

Thanks in advance,

Sander

IUramlUZWL.jpg

25 REPLIES 25

You can do something close with a boundary blend.  The same of the base will affect the shape of the dome and it may not be as smooth as your image shows.

See the attached Creo 2 model:

Capture.JPG

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:sslootman)

Looks like the top of a sphere squared off and drafted with rounds.  My quick shot at a model is attached.

Capture.JPG

There is always more to learn in Creo.

We've kind'a been there before.... at least once... twice that I remember.

How to Model Eliptical Dome

TimoNurmi
4-Participant

The part seems to be vacuum formed and I think the square frame is not with rounded corners.

My selection would be a warp feature with sculpt tool applied to a straight plate:

sculpt_feature.JPG

The result will be something like this:

sculpt_model.JPG

Not very accurate but perhaps you get the idea.

EDIT: Creo 2 example file attached

BHOoi
15-Moonstone

One more option for you - using free style

Capture.JPG

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:BHOoi)

I see a line there, I'll bet that surface doesn't look right under a reflection analysis.

BHOoi
15-Moonstone
(To:Patriot_1776)

Capture.JPG

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Nice!  Smoooooth as a baby's bottom! 

Reminds me of a certain chocolate.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Is this the chocolate you were thinking of?  CROW_CHOCOLATE-01.bmpCROW_CHOCOLATE-02.bmp

I like that I was able to make the top a revolved surf.  Interesting.......

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Looks good, funny, that line must be part of the rendering, a reflection.....

bbrejcha
12-Amethyst

in our classes we teach to utilize a toupet methodology.  That is create a four part boundary and trim that back matching the square to build more four part boundaries.

Bart Brejcha

Design-engine.com

Hello Bart, I don't suppose you have an example of this method you could share?

Regards

John

TimoNurmi
4-Participant

I blew some more air to my model by dragging the sculpt control points up and it looks like this.

Side view:

sculpt_model_front.JPG

Reflection analysis:

sculpt_model_stripes.JPG

Sander: would be nice to hear does any of these solutions meet your needs?

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TimoNurmi)

From what it looks like the guy is doing, this is probably the most accurate as to what the part is really doing.  He really didn't give us enough info.  The Warp command is a PITA and you can;t really get dimensioned results, but it does do a great job of making smooth surfaces.

No warp on mine and reasonable control.  But not simple geometry by any means.

Bart has the right idea (I think) in that we are forgetting that surfaces like to extend past the intended plane and later trimmed to the intended shape.

Does anyone remember the old Dome command. It was back on rev 17 - 19.

The command is still available. Need to add the following line to the config.pro:

allow_anatomic_features yes

Then type Dome in command search box.

There are two options: Radius Dome and Section Dome

Section Dome:

section_dome.png

The radius dome doesn't look too well on reflection analysis:

radius_dome.png

Creo 2 part attached.

bbrejcha
12-Amethyst

The dome tool from yester year can be turned on in a config.pro BTW  

The top of the Cub's helmet and the Leap Chair arm rest both use the toupet methodology for accomplishing with precision what you want to do.

http://design-engine.com/creo-surfacing-training-style-intensive-week-one/

Bart Brejcha

Design-engine.com

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

The real question is this:  How accurate does the part REALLY have to be?  Antonius has an example of a beautifully smoooth "Dove" chocolate (I can't afford that high-end stuff, so I have to settle for the cheap "Crow" chocolates....LOL    ), but is that kind of surfacing REALLY needed?  The ID guys rant and whine about C2 this and that....all the while forgetting that in the REAL world (not the idealistic one), the parts you are going to actually get are the prize, not some reflection analysis the customer will never see.  You can get 99% of those kinds of surfaces pretty easily, and then, as you ALWAYS do for cosmetic surfaces, specify them to the mold-maker as C2 surfaces.  Done.

If this is an exercise where you're learning surfacing techniques and time is of no object, have fun and learn as much as you can.  I learned a few new tricks doing this, and glad I pursued it.

If, on the other hand, you have a boss who has a deadline for you, well, I'd do the 99% solution, hand the ID guys a box of tissue if they complain, and tell the mold-maker to make it nice and C2 shiny-perfect.

But, maybe that's just me..... 

My $.0000002

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Wow, did this thread die or what?  No resolution?  Ah well, it was fun making chocolate...

Yea, they still do that.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Did you try the chocolate? 

All too often

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

LOL  I thought while we were indulging in some digital eye "candy", I'd have some fun with it.  I'll e-mail you the file, I decided to try something completely different.  I believe I still have your offline e-mail.  Hope ya been well! 

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags