cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

End of a paramter in a text string

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

End of a paramter in a text string

When you write a parameter in a text string, &parameter_name, is there a when to let the text know that the parameter is done other than a space? i.e. &parameter_name_COLOR where Parameter_name is the name of the parameter and _COLOR is attached to the end (without a space between them).

Thanks, Dale

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dale, you can fool the system by using the old world delimiting with the curly braces "{0:&variable}".

In this manner, you can void the spaces all together.

This is from here:

Antonius Dirriwachter wrote:

Nono... I meant write a note that is independent of the hole itself. You might be able to assign some of the variables in a note, but even that has gotten harder.

My favorite method is to use a radial dimension and edit to a hole note. That way, the leader will remain normal to the edge.

I also a issues with the SAE callouts where spaces are added at the dash (UNC-2B reads UNC - 2B). Funny enough, there is a way to avoid the excess spaces:

Re: Tips for text

Also found this:

If you have a string of variables like in hole callouts, you noticed that you require spaces between the end of the variable and new text characters. This is why you see...

&THREAD_SERIES - &THREAD_CLASS

UNF - 2B
...a text string which is obviously not to any standard that we as engineers accept.

But there is a little known method to remove the requirement for the space:

{0:&THREAD_SERIES}-{1:&THREAD_CLASS} ...which returns

UNF-2B

Old school editor but this is what makes it work.

Why didn't PTC do this for the hole CALLOUT_FORMAT?

PTC, are you listening? This is what "we" call fit and finish

I know we have discussed this before but I need to find it again.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Dale_Rosema)

If not, is there a way to do a half space (like the old fashion typewriter).

Dale, you can fool the system by using the old world delimiting with the curly braces "{0:&variable}".

In this manner, you can void the spaces all together.

This is from here:

Antonius Dirriwachter wrote:

Nono... I meant write a note that is independent of the hole itself. You might be able to assign some of the variables in a note, but even that has gotten harder.

My favorite method is to use a radial dimension and edit to a hole note. That way, the leader will remain normal to the edge.

I also a issues with the SAE callouts where spaces are added at the dash (UNC-2B reads UNC - 2B). Funny enough, there is a way to avoid the excess spaces:

Re: Tips for text

Also found this:

If you have a string of variables like in hole callouts, you noticed that you require spaces between the end of the variable and new text characters. This is why you see...

&THREAD_SERIES - &THREAD_CLASS

UNF - 2B
...a text string which is obviously not to any standard that we as engineers accept.

But there is a little known method to remove the requirement for the space:

{0:&THREAD_SERIES}-{1:&THREAD_CLASS} ...which returns

UNF-2B

Old school editor but this is what makes it work.

Why didn't PTC do this for the hole CALLOUT_FORMAT?

PTC, are you listening? This is what "we" call fit and finish

I know we have discussed this before but I need to find it again.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Antonius,

That worked great for the variable/parameter, but guess what!!! It didn't work for &dwg_name!!!

Any thoughts on that? When I put the { } around &dwg_name it showed {actual drawing name}

Thanks,

Dale

I just tried it again with the {0:&dwg_name} and it works!!!!

It changes the zero to whatever number it wants, but if you don't put in the zero and the colon, it doesn't work.

If you use the standard [ ], it automatically puts in the #: in the text.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Dale_Rosema)

Gotta luv Pro/Creo

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags