cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Extrusion

davidperry3
1-Newbie

Extrusion

how do you taper and twist an object?
10 REPLIES 10

Do you mean like a tapered thread? What version of Pro?

like a wing that has a 3 to 1 taper with a 6 degree twist at the tip (the twist is constant). ver 3

use the warp tool (menu insert/warp); select the geometry then a coordinate system for the direction.

David, Another, more explicit, way is to imbed the twist and taper while creating the shape by using a General Blend. The wing example has been used in PTC training materials for years and can probably be found in the help files. The twist is achieved by specifying rotation around the Z-axis between sections. Taper can be achieved by retreiving the same section repeatedly, but specifying a changing scale each time it is used. You may need only two sections in your blend to achieve what you want. David

...or you can also use a variable section sweep. This is a pretty vague question, the best method depends on the geometry needed. I like VSS's because as long as the section has the same amount of elements and does not change too radically, I think it gives smoother, more controlled results.

Guys, This is in no way the beginning of an argument with you, Frank, because you are right about the generality of the question AND about Variable Section Sweeps. After 14 years of using Pro, I still think they are the coolest tool imaginable, especially when utilizing multiple trajectories and the extraordinary capability of a Graph. However, each tool is ideally adaptable to a different class of situations, and a Smooth General Blend might be the tool of choice in the wing situation. (Entering the angular rotation relative to the Z-axis is probably quicker and more direct than what would be necessary with a VSS.) David

"David Butz" wrote:

Guys, This is in no way the beginning of an argument with you, Frank, because you are right about the generality of the question AND about Variable Section Sweeps. After 14 years of using Pro, I still think they are the coolest tool imaginable, especially when utilizing multiple trajectories and the extraordinary capability of a Graph. However, each tool is ideally adaptable to a different class of situations, and a Smooth General Blend might be the tool of choice in the wing situation. (Entering the angular rotation relative to the Z-axis is probably quicker and more direct than what would be necessary with a VSS.) David

Frank, Yes, agreed. I don't know how many times I've wanted trajectories of a VSS to drive vertices with ease and flexibility. They can drive section elements to some extent, but it's limited. David

Thanks all the rotational Blend worked great. I thought VSS would be the way to go for the Fuselage but the blend got the job done there too.

"David Butz" wrote:

Frank, Yes, agreed. I don't know how many times I've wanted trajectories of a VSS to drive vertices with ease and flexibility. They can drive section elements to some extent, but it's limited. David

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags