cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Help in Creating Fillets

ptc-2430630
1-Newbie

Help in Creating Fillets

It's real easy to create a curved blend of two adjacent flat surfaces to give a nice rounded edge. Is there an equallly simple way of creating a fillet between two adjacent flat surfaces ?
4 REPLIES 4
Not applicable
(To:ptc-2430630)

Yes. You create internal blends the same way you create external blends.....Use the blend commands. The feedback will show you what it looks like.
ptc-2430630
1-Newbie
(To:)

Thank you Mike. Again you guys either come uo with the answers or you set the mind thinking so as to figure it out. I had already tried the blend on two adjacent parts without success. I kept getting an error message ""Edge is tangential - cannot be blended"". However, when you replied saying it can be done I thought about it and figured out my problem. I simply had to ""Unite"" the two parts and then the blend worked like a charm. Thanks a million. By the way Mike, did you get my e-mail regarding my problem uniting parts ? Cheers, John.
Not applicable
(To:ptc-2430630)

Hello John, You started down the path of creating individual features as individual parts and then trying to unite them. This is not a good process, (although it can be handy at times). When you need to add a feature to your part, make sure your current part is the active part, then simply put a new workplane on the face where the new feature is to go. Create the outline and use machining commands to add the additional feature. I looked at your assemblies, and while each of your parts appars ok to the eye the faces do not exactly touch, so when you start trying to unite the parts, you wind up with all sorts of additional faces and short edges. There is a command in Modeling PE called ""check part"" You will find it in the Modify 3D section. It will tell you a lot about your models. Turn maximal check on, turn verbose on, and turn labels on. I spent an hour or so this morning playing with some of your parts and assemblies trying to turn it into one part. I didn't sent it back to you because I'm not sure if some of the fixes I did were part of your design intent.
ptc-2430630
1-Newbie
(To:)

Hi Mike. Thank you for looking at my model. I know some of my parts do overlap, I sometimes find it easier to put my thoughts into the model that way. Usually when I try to unite these parts it works OK. The big problem that I had on the latest model I sent you was that, when I got the portion of the assemby down to two parts, by uniting individual parts, I tried to unite the two and one of them just dissappearsed (Corrupted I guess). I will try the analysis techniques you mentioned and see if it helps me to sort it out. If it doesn't, I may have to ask you what the tricks were that you played around with. Eventually I want to end up with a limited number of assemblies, maybe 8 to 10, with all of the parts in each assembly united into one. If you were able to unit the two parts /b1/a1/a1.1/p6 & p7 in the model I last sent you, please let me know how you did it. Otherwise I'll just play around with it over the weekend, as per your suggestions, and see what I come up with. Many Thanks, John.
Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags