cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

How can I use my own textures ???

AlexandreChartr
1-Newbie

How can I use my own textures ???

HI all, I'm trying to model an old revolver and I want to put a wood texture on the handle of the gun, like the real old guns. But, the problem is that I don't know how to color a piece with my own texture.

If you could help me, I will be so happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Peter, thanks for the great example and the warning about folder naming.

You can change the scale and rotation of your texture by editing the appearance once applied to the model (use the little eye dropper icon). Once selected, you can do a lot with the texture. Also, don't forget the roughness part of the texture. This can really make things stand out when using the renderer. Have a look at my linked document in how to make textures stand out.

But alas, I don't think Elements Direct Express allows any kind of texture. I have Elements Express 4 loaded and don't see any way to do this.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

It is not too difficult but I don't know what version of Pro/E you are using.

In the appearance manager, you can greate a new "appearance". To this, you can apply almost any kind of image that you like. With a little work, you can also give the appearance a texture (not just the image, but a "roughness").

I documented some of the process here:

http://communities.ptc.com/docs/DOC-2847#comment-7560

I'm using creo elements/ directModeling express 4 (the free version)

Oh, that could be problematic. I see nothing about textures in the Elements Express help files.

I don't find anything about texture

I don't know if it posible in the express version.

But I will give you a little tip, what ever file you try to use, make sure it is stored in a folder location that doesn't have a space in the name , I have found that if I store files for texture is "MY PICTURES" within windows, it can't load it.

Create a folder directly on C:\ Drive that has no spaces in the name to store the images that you want to use.

PTC has fixed some issues with the name convention, but texture isn't one of them, found that out the hard way.

Here is a quick how to for adding texture

Step one.

open the appearance manager

texture 2.JPG

Step two

you need to create a new apearance

texture 4.JPG

Step three

select the MAP tab

texture 3.JPG

Step four

click the color texture box

texture 5.JPG

this will open the PTC default texture folder, you could store your image within a folder in this location.

select a texture for the new appearance.

Step five

give the appaerance a new name and save it.

texture 6.JPG

Step six

you can now apply the new appaerance like a color, i have picked the sky texture

texture 7.JPG

texture 8.JPG

now while the default texture are .tx3 format, you can use .jpg as shown below

texture 9.JPG

But the problem with .jpg, is to try to get it to scale properly, images apear to be stretched

Now the question is , will the express version do texture

Peter

Peter, thanks for the great example and the warning about folder naming.

You can change the scale and rotation of your texture by editing the appearance once applied to the model (use the little eye dropper icon). Once selected, you can do a lot with the texture. Also, don't forget the roughness part of the texture. This can really make things stand out when using the renderer. Have a look at my linked document in how to make textures stand out.

But alas, I don't think Elements Direct Express allows any kind of texture. I have Elements Express 4 loaded and don't see any way to do this.

Thank you all,
I didn't find any kind of texture on Element Direct
So, I will use simple colors

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags