cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

How to calculate connection of three plates with fasteners?

Peter59te
1-Newbie

How to calculate connection of three plates with fasteners?

Hello,

I just wonder if it's possible to calculate connection of three plates with bolt fasteners?

Here is an example of two beams connected with plates and bolts:

Connection.jpg

What is the best approach in such case?

4 REPLIES 4
346gnu
12-Amethyst
(To:Peter59te)

This looks like Civil rather than Mechanical. There are lots of codes for bolted joints. I am not a Civil but I bet some here are and could better help you read the answer from a book (and put the software away).

Otherwise, Yes (with caveats). You can do this using simple, advanced or solid fasteners.

Simple and advanced fasteners are not supposed to have intervening parts (though is is possible to get away with it).

Otherwise, solid fasteners would work.

Don't use simple if you have advanced. Simple does not give you the preload option ... which is absolutely key.

If you haven't advanced, then shrinking beams works well. By the same token, solid fasteners (and shrunk like beams) if you do not have creo/advanced.

My view is to always use contact between components (watch out for DOF's of intervening parts and use light springs to lock them down).

Contact is, by default, frictionless. There are 2 options - Frictionless (default) and infinite. I think infinite friction requires an advanced license. If you need to study the sensitivity due to an unknown finite friction... at the moment, for this you need other software. Infinite friction studies take hours and hours and the loaded behaviour is not always as expected.

Hello Charles,

Thank you for your respond. I think you misunderstood a little my question. I know pretty well how to calculate by hand bolts for different types of plates/beams connections. What I am interested in is how to use Creo 2.0 in the best way for this particularly case. I find it as a big disadvantage/shortcoming in Creo 2.0 that fasteners (bolts) can be used for connection between only two plates. In real life it is very rare situation and in most cases you have three or more plates connected with bolts.

Best regards,

Piotr

Hello, Piotr,

Have you ever looked at the explanations on the following discussion.

Cordially.

Denis.

http://communities.ptc.com/message/194352 # 194352

Hello Denis,

Thank you for your respond. Actually I am doing in the same way as you did. I am using screws instead for bolts but one disadvantage is unrealistic stress image around the middle hole (in the middle plate). In my opinion Creo should have possibility to calculate three or more plates screwed up with bolts (fasteners). In real life two plates screwed up with bolts is rather rare situation.

Best regards,

Piotr

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags