cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Importing SolidWorks Files

bhoerner
1-Newbie

Importing SolidWorks Files

I was watching an intro to WF5, I see that you can import SW files directly, but do you need a certain level/module of Pro to do this? We only currently have the base model and it does not appear to work as they indicated, unless I am doing something wrong.

Would anyone who does this regularly please jump in and give feedback?

Thanks,

Brian

5 REPLIES 5

I am not sure if you have to have a certain Pro/E level. We have Enterprise SE.

Pro/E will only open SolidWorks models if you have a license key for SolidWorks Document Manager. To get this you have to contact a SolidWorks reseller. It is supposed to be free, but I only have experience with getting it with 2 SW licenses on maintenance.

To get the license key from SW they make you sign a legal document. This took me several weeks sending the document back and forth between my legal department and SW's legal departments. That was a joy to experience.

Once you have the key you set a hidden config.pro option. The option is swdocmgr_license_key.

Now, you can open SW file to your hearts content. Oh wait, don't get your hopes up. The files open as imported geometry so you cannot see the model tree or edit the features. It is as if you opened an IGES file. Feature recognition can help some.

But, it is nice to have the native file instead of multiple conversions.

Thanks Paul,

Appreciated, figured as much, we have mostly SW license so getting the key will be easy...other than multiple back and forth with the forms.

I new about th edumb solid deal, standard on all CAD systems

Be well,

Brian

Good luck.

Oh, forgot to say you set the swdocmgr_license_key to have the actual license key as the value. But, you probably figured that out.

I checked with my SolidWorks VAR but they seemed to not know what I was asking for, do you remember what you asked for when you contacted SolidWorks for the license key for SolidWorks Document Manager?

Thanks,

Brian

OK, sorry for the confusion. I searched through my old emails and found PTC's TPI number for this: TPI 145366. It says you have to go through SolidWorks API support at mailto:apisupport@solidworks.com to request a Document Manager license key.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags