cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Inheritance Merge Absolute Accuracy ranges won't overlap...

mfrels-2
1-Newbie

Inheritance Merge Absolute Accuracy ranges won't overlap...

I have an e-beam weldment for which I am using Inheritance Merge. The smallest component of the merge is significantly smaller than the largest component. From the resource reading that I have done I should be using Absolute Accuracy with same value in all components of the merge. I cannot make this happen! The smallest component prompts me that its allowable range is 4.63787968993e-06 to 0.000463834348. The largest prompts me that 0.0004880633 to 0.048811210617 is its allowable range. The two ranges do not meet or overlap. I have not been able to find a solution to this yet. Suggestions please?

FYI I am using creo elements/pro 5.0 build M120.

M

5 REPLIES 5
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:mfrels-2)

Two config.pro options will help: default_abs_accuracy and accuracy_lower_bound

The value you use for default_abs_accuracy will be accepted, even if it's out of the calculated range based on part size. We use: default_abs_accuracy 0.0001

Using a very small number for accuracy_lower_bound will affect the range that Pro/e sees as valid for absolute accuracy. By setting this to a very small value (.000001), Pro/e should have no issue with setting the absolute accuracy to .0001", regardless of part size.

mfrels-2
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

I already had accuracy_lower_bound set to .0001 and it had no effect. From what I have read I believe that setting only has an effect on relative accuracy. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes...default_abs_accuracy does now allow me to set the accuracy of the larger component to a smaller value. That value being what I enter in my user config.pro and only that value. Not higher or lower. It does right now seem to solve my problem but I am kinda hesitant due to future sustaining work on the file. That default_abs_accuracy setting would be modal to the person working on the databases. I am pretty sure the company CAD admins are not going to want to force that setting on all users.

This will get me by for now though. Thanks!

M

ps: gonna keep this one open till find a find a solution that will keep the future sustaining folks and admins happy...

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:mfrels-2)

No, accuracy_lower_bound definitely affects absolute accuracy. Try it. Open a part and try to set the absolute accuracy extremely small. A box will pop up telling you what the minimum allowed amount is. Cancel out and change the accuracy_lower_bound to .000001. Now go back and try to set the part to the same very small accuracy attempted earlier. Assuming your value is small enough, you will once again get the pop up telling you what the minimum value is, but it will be MUCH lower than before.

accuracy_lower_bound not set

absolute+with+no+accuracy_lower_bound.PNG

accuracy_lower_bound 0.000001

absolute+with+accuracy_lower_bound.PNG

mfrels-2
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

I believe before I have heard something like "Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it." Well I asked to be proved wrong and you did it easily. I need to pay more careful attention to instructions when they are given to me. My accuracy_lower_bounds was set at .0001. When I changed it to .000001 and again pushed my larger components accuracy its lower limit was now at 4.880632811053e-06 or .00000488. Which gives me plenty of overlap to the smaller component. <slaps his head>

I am going to annotate this into all the databases as a necessary setting that all subsequent work must be done with it active to this precision.

Thanks, M

PTC should really be doing this behind the scenes along with giving us the options. If a feature fails due to accuracy issues, it should adjust the accuracy of that feature only so the feature does not fail.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags