cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

New to Creo, basic sketcher question

rpreliasco
5-Regular Member

New to Creo, basic sketcher question

Hi,

I'm just starting to learn Creo and have a question about sketcher. When creating a new sketch, is there any way to determine how large your sketch is before finishing it? It is annoying to find your sketch is 100 times larger than you wanted.

7 REPLIES 7

Richard,

It sounds like you may have parts created in different units.

Changing the units for an existing part is done through File > Prepare > Model Properties and in the dialog, under Materials > Units click on change. Once you select the units you want and click Set, you will be asked whether you want to Convert or Interpret. Convert re-scales the model so 1mm becomes 1". Interpret doesn't change the physical size so 25.4mm becomes 1 ".

If you want to change the default units (and drawing standards) there are bat files that will reconfigure Creo globaly for units and drawing standards. They are located here:

C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 1.0\Common Files\M020\creo_standards

Does this answer your question?

rpreliasco
5-Regular Member
(To:TimBrotherhood)

I didn't mean literally 100 times. I suppose what I am looking for is a real-time readout of sketch dimensions while you are drawing, i.e. line length, circle diameter, etc.

mhoebener
5-Regular Member
(To:rpreliasco)

It is something you end up getting a feel for. But you can always sketch your profile, select all the auto dims created during your sketch. select modify dimensions lock scale...change one dim and the others will conform relatively..

mod dim.PNG

rpreliasco
5-Regular Member
(To:mhoebener)

That helps, thanks!

Try creating a datum plane before hand (offset say 100mm), to help give some sense of scale to your part. If you have no features other than your 3 default datum planes then pro-e has no point of reference in terms of scale. Another thing you could try, is to sketch only 1 entity of your sketch to start with (say a line) & modify the length, height whatever, from this point on, you will be sketching something like the scale your require.

Regards

John

Richard,

I'm in WF5 right now, but this functionality has to be similar in Creo.

1) Turn on the display of dimensions in sketcher. This will show all dimensions of the geometry you create. If this button is not visible once you go into sketcher, go to the TOOLS > CUSTOMIZE SCREEN > COMMANDS and go into sketcher categories and then find that button and drag it to your sketcher toolbar.

2) You can also turn on the grid in sketcher, which will give you a scale to start off all your sketches. The grid I show is made up of 30mm X 30mm squares. There are default values for this or you can go into the config options to set your own values.

sketcher_set_grid_x_spacing

sketcher_set_grid_y_spacing

sketcher_dims_grid.jpg

Hope this helps.

Create start parts for your use. This will give standardized datums etc. and will scale things for you.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags