cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

ProE file's names doesn't accept spaces

ClaudiuCraciun
6-Contributor

ProE file's names doesn't accept spaces

Hi,

one of the simpliest question for that nobody was able to answer:

Why proe doesn't accept spaces in file name.

CC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Claudiu,

ProE was originally developed in UNIX and that does not accept spaces (nor did DOS at that time). ProE was ported to Windows NT back at Rev 14 and at that time I think Win NT did not accept spaces either. Basically despite the cosmetic changes since then the no spaces rule remains.

There are many things that remain from those earlier times (any time the menu manager pops up on the right) even after ten years of transition to WF and now the first release of Creo 1.0

Since I am an old codger who grew up with the Command Line Interface (old UNIX and DOS) using underscores instead of spaces is a habit that has stayed with me from that time.

Regards, Brent

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi Claudiu,

I think it has to do with the fact Pro/E is multi-plattform and some of the non-windows plattaforms do not support spaces in the file name.

In order to keep the compatibility of a file across multiple O/S, PTC had to stick with this limitation.

HTH

Daniel

Hi Claudiu,

ProE was originally developed in UNIX and that does not accept spaces (nor did DOS at that time). ProE was ported to Windows NT back at Rev 14 and at that time I think Win NT did not accept spaces either. Basically despite the cosmetic changes since then the no spaces rule remains.

There are many things that remain from those earlier times (any time the menu manager pops up on the right) even after ten years of transition to WF and now the first release of Creo 1.0

Since I am an old codger who grew up with the Command Line Interface (old UNIX and DOS) using underscores instead of spaces is a habit that has stayed with me from that time.

Regards, Brent

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags