cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Query-Select vs. PreHighlight-discuss!

DELETEME
1-Newbie

Query-Select vs. PreHighlight-discuss!

I much prefer QS, and HATE the PH. I find I can never get exactly what I want in large assy's with PH, and hate the time it takes to PH, and also I just find it distracting. Plus, when in sketcher mode, QS allows/forces me to be far more careful slecting references with parent/child relationships in mind. Now, I like PH in the model tree and layers though. But then, I'm an old hack with 13yrs on the system.... Thoughts?
7 REPLIES 7

Yeah, this old hack doesn't care to much for the flashing neon "highlighting" and the relative difficulty of getting what you really want, either. I work all the time with Preselection Highlighting turned off. Once in a while, like you, I want it on, so I have two mapkeys for turning it on and off. It reminds me of some of the other losses in Wildfire (in spite of claims for less mouse work), especially putting a hole in a block. Remember pick-pick-pick and you were done? No RMB, Secondary References or getting unwanted references before the obvious primary choices. All-in-all the Wildfire interface brings much to the party, but some things that were straightforward have become more obtuse.
Kevin
10-Marble
(To:DavidButz)

I think some of this has to do with how you learn it. All the training I've had has been on Wildfire versions so I don't now how earlier versions handled this. All the taining has been taught with prehighlighting on. Because of the way I learned to make selections I find I have the opposite reaction to what you guys have. I worked with someone who liked prehighlighting off and found I couldn't tell what was being selected. The RMB menu is also a little different when prehighlighting is off which adds to my problem of getting use to query selection. Most of the models I have worked on have been small so having prehighlighting on hasen't been much of an issue. I have tried your way selection and like it I just have to get use to it. I geuss depending on the version you are using you can change the prehighlight colors if you like to have prehighlight on.

We turned off prehighlighting almost immediately, for one main reason. Some of the models we work with (cast gearbox casings) are extremely complex, and are set up with the cast part as a merge at the start of the machined part. The first 'feature' to be highlighted is the merge feature... which took several seconds for the system to draw the wireframe highlight, every single time you went to select anything. We switched it off, stuck with query select and haven't looked back - we also encourage our new guys to use query select to make sure they're getting the right references.

"Jonathan Hodgson" wrote:

We turned off prehighlighting almost immediately, for one main reason. Some of the models we work with (cast gearbox casings) are extremely complex, and are set up with the cast part as a merge at the start of the machined part. The first 'feature' to be highlighted is the merge feature... which took several seconds for the system to draw the wireframe highlight, every single time you went to select anything. We switched it off, stuck with query select and haven't looked back - we also encourage our new guys to use query select to make sure they're getting the right references.

make a mapkey that does it for you >Edit >Select >Deselect All

"Wesley Gegg" wrote:

make a mapkey that does it for you >Edit >Select >Deselect All

Darrell
12-Amethyst
(To:DELETEME)

Assigning deselect to a mapkey is a good idea, but does anyone know how to assign it to the ESC key? Using the $, mapkeys can be assigned to the function keys (e.g. $F1), but $ESC doesn't work.
Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags