cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Using Isolate with Layers???

GlennBeer
1-Newbie

Using Isolate with Layers???

I want to ask, how many people are using "Hide and Isolate" vs. "Hide and Unhide", to decide what layer items are to be visible in the display.

For those that are using Isolate:

Did you find that it changed how you defined layer rules?

Are you creating fewer layers?

Are the rules for those layers less complicated?

12 REPLIES 12
Kevin
10-Marble
(To:GlennBeer)

For me it's just a quick temporary way to remove unwanted display items without having to hide layers or keep items from showing as they are created and added to a layer. For me it didn't change the number of layers I created or the way I created the rules or how complicated they were.

mbonka
15-Moonstone
(To:GlennBeer)

Hello Glenn Beer

both functions HIDE and ISOLATE are useful in different situations.

-------------------

l´m using "Isolate" function in drawings for DXF export. Generall for laser or watter jet cutting.

- need to show solid geometry --- solid geometry isn´t included in any layer

- need to show CNC-cut geometry --- set this layer isolate

- ISOLATE guarantees that DXF file will nerver shows mess (datum axis, planes, additional sketches etc.)

-------------------

In my opinion: Changing layer rules HAS NO INFLUENCE to hide/isolate state for desired layer. If the layers was hide one times, it will be hide for everytime (doesn´t matter what is included or excluded in this layer)

-------------------

In my opinion: Nummber of layers is depend only to way you want to use Creo parametric. More simply is THE BEST. So keep less layers if possible.

-------------------

If the layer is simply or rules driven depends on "WHAT YOU WANT SHOWN" in desired layers. HIDE and INFLUECE has no influence.

Regards

Milan Bonka

Glenn,

I use hide/isolate pretty much exclusively. For all the reasons you stated back in your conference presentation years ago I find this the most useful combination.

Regarding your other questions.

I started using layer rules and isolate at the same time, so yes?

I find that I don't often create new task specific layers.  I thought that I would, but don't very often.  I will sometimes create a rule to capture all new features when I'm working in a specific area so that I will then have a layer with all those features on it when I'm done.  It's also handy for having everything off except the area I'm currently working on.  I have to remember to turn that rule off when I'm done though.

My default layer rules are fairly complicated.  An rules for new, on the fly layers are generally pretty simple. 

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
MarkHeinze
6-Contributor
(To:dgschaefer)

Ditto to how you are using layers. I too hide all non-solid items by a set of standard layers governed by rules. They are created once in a "standard model" upon which I base every new model I generate. For those few exceptions where I need to show something special, I'll create an extra layer and manually add that item, then isolate that layer. As said these extra manually created layers are generally few and so the extra effort is really minimal. Also, I name such extra layers to the effect "0_myspeciallayer" so that they are driven to the top of the list, easy to find and manage (using ISOLATE). All other layers are always saved hidden. Since picking up on Glenn's tip on ISOLATE (years ago - thank you!), I've dramatically cut the time and effort needed to manage layers and obtaining desired displays.

Funny, I do the opposite of you - all my standard layers are prefixed "00_" so they stay at the top, any custom layers end up below them.

I have added other standard layers as Creo has evolved.  I now have a standard layer for axis tags since having the axis display turned on and then showing an axis in the drawing reveals the axis tag.  The only way to fix it permanently (one can turn the axis display off for a temp fix) is to put the tags themselves on a layer and hide them.

I need to come back revisit my thread on Sketched Points and Layer Rules as I've been fighting with those ever since the sketched datum point feature was merged into the general sketch feature.  I asked that question months ago and have been to busy since to go back and try what was suggested.

--
LinkedIn
MarkHeinze
6-Contributor

Yeah, I'd prefer your method of having the standard layers with "00_" and everything else custom; that just makes more sense to me too. But all this started in the company where we started with "our best knowledge" at the time, and now it is so entrenched  that there is no way to push through a new layer ideology corporate wide.  It would be easy enough to do with the assistance of ModelCHECK I think, but getting agreement to do so is the insurmountable. (Have to pick to fight the battles you can win...)

As for showing axis tags on drawings, I assume you are referring to things like DATUM A. I use a layer 0_GTOL that collects all axes and planes that are only one letter long :

(Name == ?) look for feature, look by datum plane

or

(Name == ?) look for feature, look by datum axis

The layer 0_GTOL is set to ISOLATE in the drawing and I show those "datum" axes in the relevant views. Generally we don't have more than 26 datums in a model, so for us this works.

No, I'm simply referring to wanting to see the axis on the drawing by using the show / erase dialog.  Even with my axis layer off, I can show an axis in a view.  But, if I don't have the axis tags on a layer and hidden, the tags show up as well:

Capture.JPG

Creating an axis tag layer and hiding it gives me what I want:

Capture.JPG

--
LinkedIn
MarkHeinze
6-Contributor

I don't have that issue:

- All axes are on a model layer by rule.

- In the drawing, that layer is set and saved to hidden.

- In the drawing, select the drawing view, "ShowModel Annotations", select right most tab "Model datums", pick the axis you want to keep (or show).

The axis shows, the tag does not.

I do all the same and the tag shows.

How to you set your main axis display on the, on or off?

Capture.JPG

I keep it on and that makes the tags show up when an axis is shown in the drawing.  Creating the layer and hiding it means it's off regardless of the status of the main axis display toggle.

--
LinkedIn

There is a separate toggle for the tags. They can be found on the View tab or controlled by config options. I don't think they can be added to the graphics window toolbar but haven't tried.

MarkHeinze
6-Contributor

Yes, I use the same main display on as you have shown.

And, sorry, I might have mis-led you. I use only one layer for "axes" in which BOTH axis and tag are sought for (2 rules, one layer).

MarkHeinze
6-Contributor

For the most part I'm satisfied with using layers and be able to get displays I need.

It peeves me though that solids can be put on layers, which others in the company do sometimes for some unknown reason.

This screws up the philosophy of using rules to auto-layer all non-solid items to control view of the "solid part". When blanking "all layers" and a having a layer with parts on it, well there go the proper display of  assemblies with components disappearing here and there . Can't rightly and easily go through all the 50 or more components that others have created and re-do their layering. So then it is foresting through all layers in your assembly that have solids on them and isolate them too. 

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags