cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

WF5 GUI.......Like? Love? Hate? Indifferent?

CM10
1-Newbie

WF5 GUI.......Like? Love? Hate? Indifferent?

I didn't see that there was a way to start a poll here, so here's an informal one. Here's scoring:

5 = Love

4 = Like

3 = Indifferent

2 = Dislike

1 = Hate

Please feel free to be specific if you want to describe things, good or bad

I'll wait to post my feelings.........

Post up!

127 REPLIES 127
GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:GrahameWard)

Constantin, It's been a week and still no response from you. You PTC guys are always admirably there to defend your product but how about you follow through? Or someone from PTC.

Could you either explain in more detail what this means:

"I often deactivate everything switch to inactive view then select the comps I want to keep and set them to Master which will make them disappear."

Some pictures or a video would help. That's why I asked if there was an online tutorial.

And this:

"Once what you have on screen is what you want you go to the view manager and save what you have as a new simp rep."

How do you not lose your mulitple picks when go back to the view manager? Once you check (or uncheck) a box the others all switch off. IOW you cannot check or uncheck mulitple boxes with one click.

And for the love of Odin why can't you move the model when the Simplified Rep View Manager is up !! The model view is completely locked up!

I repeat: it used to be simple. You could edit your rep by either excluding or including components on the screen or the tree. On or off. Black or white. 0 or 1.

Is there a tutorial in managing Simplified Reps in WF5? One with images? I need pictures, I am slow.

Somebody respond.

There are multiple ways to create a simplified reps. To set a status for multiple items select on the model names or on the models in the preview. The preview window is displayed by selecting the double arrow on the right border edge. You can rotate the model in this preview window. move the mouse cursor back over to the part listing and RMB>Representation and select the desired representation. You can also make the selection with the cursor in the preview window bt you need to hold the right mouse button as you move through the menu.

Another way is to add a column to the model tree for the simplified reps and change the status for components in the model tree.

Another is to make the master rep active, select the components in the graphics window or the model tree, RMB>Representation, set the representation, go to the view manager, RMB on the modified master rep, and select Save.

I'll try and get some pictures together later if you still want or need them.

Hi Grahame,

I have attached a PDF that shows this WF5 process using an old assembly model of my house. The non intuitive thing (or at least the way I use it) is checking the top level assembly box even though it already shows as checked. This adds all parts to the Simp Rep so that you can see what you are doing and I then exclude parts or sub assemblies.

I am sure some people are more comfortable starting with a blank and adding parts rather than the way do it but that is personal preference or assembly dependant (if you are only looking for a few parts).

The really big thing is that you are doing all the Simp Rep settings in the Window for this not back in the original assembly model window. Once I understood that it seems pretty straight forward.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Brent

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:BrentDrysdale)

Kevin and Brent, thanks for taking the time to respond to my rather querulous post. I will look at it in greater detail today some time.

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member

Still haven't had a chance to look at your PDF in detail. I have a deadline this week and don't have the time, although clearly I have the time to post this.

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member

Thanks Brent, I read your PDF and am now much better at negotiating my way through the new Simplified Rep menu.

So it can be done!

I will say though, that even with Brent's help there are still more mouse clicks to get the same thing done. I do not call that an improvement!

DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite
(To:CM10)

PTC should have seen backlash from AutoCAD going to ribbon type GUI. I can live with it but having to switch tabs to do certain actions is anoying. Holding ALT while selecting doesnt help much. There should be some kind of autoswitch to handle this. Default drawing colours are a disaster. Light blue background with pink? Realy? I reverted to WF4 colours on day 1. You can setup ProE anyway you like but the point is that default setings dont put you off from using software. There is a list of stuff and comands that are too many clicks away from using, like giving material to part for example etc.

All in all i give GUI a 3.

I agree about the Ribbon in AutoCAD, but at least you have the option of using Classic UI and customized toolbars.

I came to ProE on WF3, having converted over from using Catia and UGNX, (both superior CAD packages in my view) and had only just got used to it after about a year. Then my company upgraded to WF5.

Its UI is a mishmash of styles and layouts and having to re-learn where commands and functions are has seriously cost productivity. The ribbon in drawing is rubbish! In fact the mass move to these ribbon concepts by any number of software providers must be costing industry dear. I used to be a wizz at excel but now can't find the most basic stuff in the latest version.

Why do software companies have to mess with the product in such a way that you have to retrain with each upgrade?

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:IainTrice)

I've just spent 5 minutes trying to edit the attachment of a BOM balloon. Turns out you have to have the Table or Annotate tab active for that to show up when you RMB. Now that I can do it for some reason I can't even replicatre the problem I had before. It's like it didn't even exist.

This ribbon is a pile of fetid dingoes kidneys.

You can hold the ALT key to select any item that is out of scope of the active tab.

Love the rage ... and I have felt your pain since 1991.

I made a pretty nice living with PTC products... but I have a real love/hate relationship with PTC.

Yet again they monkeyed with the interface for no good reason. Oh, they HAVE a reason, it's just the same bad excuse as always (Microsoft's doing it so we HAD to change, too!)

Yet again they added enhancements of dubious usefulness. But is anyone really surprised? This happens every few years. There was a day when I could FLY through my Pro/E work with mapkeys. With each successive release, the mapkeys work less and less. You're forced to use the "improved" screen or context menus. These are never BETTER... they're always slower, less flexible, less intuitive. Yet with each release we have to hear how they've reduced menu picks and mouse movement by 9000%. Somehow though... it never seems to get faster and it's always a bigger hassle.

The more advanced functions ALWAYS get buried deeper and deeper within the package. They always get harder and harder to find. It's as if they're purposely dumbing down the software to make it look more like <fill in flavor of the week software here- solidworks, NX, inventor, etc>.

The whole process is annoying. I don't know ONE real expert user who isn't unbelievably frustrated by the entire affair. It's wishful thinking to believe PTC is magically going to change the way they do business. Instead, I think it's up to us to figure out a way to make the software work for us. I know... I know... it shouldn't BE that way... but it IS that way and it always has been.

Like I said, I feel your pain.

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:BrianMartin)

If you hate it, sign the petition!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/3/remove-the-ribbon/

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

I forgot I started this. Now that I've been forced to use it, I'll write more when I can evaluate it more and can rant in more detail (lack of time now).

Lets just say, the positive changes in the modeling mode for me are offset by the extra hassle and menu-picks and the fact my mapkeys don't work anymore. Pisses me off. As for dwg mode....absolutely HATE IT! What a Micros#ck-inspired joke. No wonder the experienced users hate it. It's far slower and more cumbersome in actual use no matter what the software developers (who've never USED it in real-world situations) claim. Tabs? SRSLY? And, the "ALT" does NOT work for a lot of the functions, you STILL have to find the right tab. Ugh! I'll have to get myself a new sharp stick to poke myself in the eyes with now because I wore the tip off of my old one with my Windchill issues.....

So you're on board with WF5 finally... good. Once you get to Creo 1.0 (Creo Parametric), I think you'll feel better. The pains you're having with WF5 ease up a little in Creo 1.0 thanks to the Quick Access Toolbar.

And yes, the ALT key doesn't always work... but imagine that for the first 3-4 months, most of our users didn't even know about the ALT key. You're getting the benefit of our struggles in that respect.

Also... hit the ALT key and notice the letters underneath the tabs and commands. These are a type of keyboard shortcut. Tapping the ALT key brings up the letters... then pressing those letters on the keyboard activates the shortcut. It's almost like a built-in mapkey system. In my personal experience, this ALT/Hotkey combination gets a little hung up sometimes (like it fails to activate properly). But when it's working, if you practice using it, you can build up some serious speed. You can nearly skip the ribbon altogether if you use the hotkeys frequently because you start to memorize them.

Try it out and see if it buys you anything.

Take care...

-Brian

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member

I haven't read every single post in this thread, but in general it seems that users' anger with PTC is in direct correaltion with how many years they have been using the software. I've seen the same feeling from users of different softwares. See Iain's comments about Excel for instance.

I know that some are immediately going to reject a psychological view on this issue, but it is true that some people are reluctant to change. This is said to be the case because with change comes a period of a loss of control which is, duh, undersirable. When a person becomes an expert software user it becomes very satifsying and when the software changes their expertise takes a hit until they learn the "new way". If in any situtation you find yourself hating the "new way" it might be because you have become set in your ways.

Forgive my lack of clarity in this view. This is just an idea I'm working on as I type this post. I'll bet that users new to CAD enjoy PTC software and don't see anything wrong with it. This sounds obvious I know. Now, look at it in reverse. If you embrace change and adopt the acceptance that a new user has with the software, then new releases don't have to be terribly upsetting. However, this may not be the case at all--we would need new users to chime in and rate their experience with the software in order to know. Maybe new users' opinions are how PTC makes its improvements , that would definitely make the experts angry.

If you were to only ask the experts how to improve the software it would look & operate like an ancient version of Pro/E, just with all the bugs worked out. I for one would hate this. I used 2000i and was floored with how alien the software felt with it's countless drop down menus embedded within drop down menus. It was a carpal tunnel nightmare. I think I'm in the minority--I'm a user (of 4.5 years) that is satisfied with the changes PTC makes to Pro/E. However, like most, I have a list of software improvements that I can't believe have yet to be attended to.

Regards,

Kevin B.

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:KevinBradberry)

It's true that some people are reluctant to change. That's true of all of us to some extent. When we encounter something new, we try to make sense of it by searching the data banks of our brain for previous experiences with which we can compare it. So we're all conservatives, neurologically speaking.

So when I encounter something new I try to remember this and reserve judgement until I have made a more thorough examination.

And Creo's drawing ribbon still sucks.

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member

That's a sound strategy to reserve judgement. If will definitely become harder as one gets older. With age our personal data banks grow larger and provide more memories in which to compare current experience with. This creates more opportunities for current experiences to not be palatable because we see the old ways, the ones we got comfortable with, as being better.

With Creo, solving failures has become much quicker.

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member

That's whay so many old people are republicans

I just really don't think that's the entire picture.

In the early-mid 1990's school systems in the United States moved away from phonics as the primary method of teaching kids to read. Instead, they started moving to the "whole word" method which was de rigueur in education circles at the time. It had the backing of major eductional institutes and experts across the spectrum. It was "better" and, therefore, the old method was scrapped.

However, a funny thing happened after "whole word" took hold. Reading scores went down. Literacy, in general, went down. Spelling among whole word students was exceedingly poor when compared to phonics. In short, every single way the new method could possibly fail, it DID FAIL.

It didn't fail because the old students didn't embrace change.

It didn't fail because it wasn't palatable.

It failed because it wasn't as good as phonics. For all the expert opinions and research, it failed. Here's a nice chart on all the ways it failed:

http://www.improve-education.org/id58.html

This is the same with many of the changes to Pro/E and Creo. Some of the changes are welcomed advancements... but changes to the interface are about as effective as whole word learning was to the reading scores of American children.

The lesson... NEWER isn't always BETTER.

In the end, most school systems have gone back to phonics. And, predictably, scores are coming back up again.

Hah! New is just new, and Bad is just....bad. I hate change simply for the sake of change itself. It's stupid and a complete waste of my time. If it's change with a tangible benefit, I'm all for it. Like I said, up until the ghastly WF interface I looked forward to each new iteration. Since the "Microsoft Boyz" seem to have taken over PTC, I've hated the interfaces. As a user with over 15 years on Pro/E and over 10 years of AutoCAD before that and some experience with Wavefront as well, I can say with all honesty that these interfaces have become increasing worse, with MORE mucking around, and slowing me down.

Now, I like the failure resolving feature in Creo, it's more like.....Solidquirks so that's a good feature....finally. But, overall, I'd stick with WF4 and Intralink if it was my money to spend or if I ever got into a point where I made that decision. How's that? so, if you've got a loyal, highly skilled, long-time customer/supporter saying that, shouldn't they listen? Also, the folley of pissing off 90% of your existing experienced users to try and gain a few more rookies from the Excel/word world floors me....

Also....don't make mistakes and you won't have to "resolve" failures.......

P.S. another thing, these "new" users don't have any frame of reference to make any sort of comparison like WE the experienced users do, especially as they are NOT presented with the old GUI to try out. It's like rasing someone in a remote village and telling him horse-puckey is chocolate. He'll munch it down and never know until he tries the real thing (sorry, coke), that it DOES get better.

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:Patriot_1776)

"so, if you've got a loyal, highly skilled, long-time customer/supporter saying that, shouldn't they listen?"

That goes to the heart of the matter. There's little opportunity to grow your business through your existing client base. For that to happen your existing customers have to add new seats. How often does that happen, not even considering the state of the economy right now? They are looking for new clients - a new generation of people who grew up with Windows or Mac. People like us who've been using ProE since the 1990's aren't worth the time.

Also, the folley of pissing off 90% of your existing experienced users to try and gain a few more rookies from the Excel/word world floors me....

90% are pissed off? Is this right? If so, PTC will be out of business before long. They must have one of the foolish business models ever. What's more likely is that they've done their research and they have a plan to gain a larger market share by providing a user interface that will be easy to learn for beginners.

With market hogs like AutoCAD and Solidworks, PTC can't afford to spend more money on creating a software that impresses expert power users, but they can do a few inexpensive changes to appeal to new customers. The angried customers are not going to drop Pro/E as their CAD software because they're invested too deeply. So, PTC is probably going after the rookies from the Excel/World world (this is my crowd) that will eventually be in charge of all the firms.

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member

KevinB wrote:

90% are pissed off? Is this right? If so, PTC will be out of business before long. They must have one of the foolish business models ever. What's more likely is that they've done their research and they have a plan to gain a larger market share by providing a user interface that will be easy to learn for beginners.

Ok, it's probably not 90%, or at least not 90% who are really fed up. I'm sure there are many levels of annoyance amongst seasoned users. Even if it were true, those two points are not mutually exclusive. I'm sure PTC knows that once they've got you they've probably got you for good. Once you are committed, it's damn expensive to change software. "Investment bias" is a powerful cognitive bias that keeps us on the straight and narrow. We have discussed changing to Solid Works at our company and the thought does not make me happy. As far as I'm concerned it's devil I know vs the devil I don't.

9 0 % is correct.

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member

Brian Martin wrote:

9 0 % is correct.

Really? Can I see the histogram?

Trust me.

Be careful Kevin... your list of software improvements that "I can't believe have yet to be attended to" make you sound like someone who can't adapt to change. Perhaps you're just reluctant to embrace the new way of doing things. Perhaps that list of improvements wouldn't be so terribly upsetting if you saw the new software updates as a brand new user might. A new user, after all, wouldn't have any complaints at all!

I'm being sarcastic here... because I disagree with you on most of those points. A new user doesn't know what he's lost... so how can he be frustrated over it?

I partially agree with your assessment that the anger over user interface changes is in direct correlation to the length of experience the user has. Better said, I think it has a direct correlation with the DEPTH of experience a user has. I see why you've built your argument on this notion. However, I think you're missing the bigger picture.

Yes, there's some bit of annoyance at having to re-learn that which has already been mastered. However, I have always embraced the changes to Pro/E. Always. I've always forced myself to use the new color schemes, new menus, new sketcher tools, etc. As part of my job I'm supposed to be championing the new tools and encouraging people to use them. As well, I am a designer at heart and I'm always looking for an advantage in speed or productivity. If there's a new way to accomplish a previously difficult task, I can guarantee I'm the first one to use it.

To continue, my 'expert' version of the software would not be some dinosaur throwback to 1997. It would definitely fix long-time deficiencies. But it would also embrace new, cleaner menus while incorporating the ability to skip them, too. Customization and automation would be top on my list of improvements. Disaster recovery would be second. A complete, massive rewrite of the entire drawing system would be third. Finally, a better reporting system would be fourth (Pro/REPORT is terrible).

In general, my expert system would ultimately PRESERVE some of the power of the software that's been sequestered away in favor of a prettier interface. As a user from 2000i, I'm sure you had occasion to select Create, Datum, Curve. Back in 2000i you were presented with a list of about 16 different methods you could use to create a curve. When Wildfire came along everything changed. Yes, you can still create curves using any of those methods... but do you know what they are? Try naming 5.

Sure the old systems had too many menus... but they told you what was POSSIBLE. I would bet my paycheck that most new users have no idea what types of curves they can create. Just seeing (for example) "2-Projection" on the list of possibilities encouraged curious users to investigate the systems' capabilities. Now, that curve type is hidden away. The function is still there... IF you know how to access it.

More? How about an On-Point Hole? That hole type doesn't even appear on the drop-down list! Unless you knew you USED to be able to do it back in the older, dinosaur days of Pro/E, you'd never even think to try it.

More dramatic? As the software has developed from WF3 to WF5, try to find COAXIAL hole... gone. Again, unless you knew you USED to be able to do it, you might not go through the hassle of trying to figure out how to make one. (Select the axis first and THEN try your hole... suddenly Coaxial is an option again).

I don't think you can simply dismiss the complaints of long-time users as the product of sour grapes or an inability to keep up with the times. Sure, some of those old users are just cratchety, grumbling curmudgeons. Then again, some of us are still very young and at the top of our skills. I don't resist the interface changes simply because they're new. I resist them because they've hidden commands or scattered them. I resist them because, in the name of saving a few picks, everything has gotten much less intuitive. I resist the changes because often they feel cursory. For example, why does my dashboard need to be at the top?

To eliminate an icon or two, simple functions like selecting an edge have necessarily more convoluted. Instead of having a pick to select a chain of edges, you now have to remember to hit a combination of SHIFT, ALT, CTRL and the right or left mouse button to select a chain of edges. Why? Why not provide the ability to use keyboard shortcuts to select a chain OR going the old route of picking a button or selecting from the right-mouse button pop-up? If you selected something the "old way", the system could print a short tip on the screen in the message area saying "Chain Selection Shortcut: Select one edge then hold SHIFT and select a second edge".

It's very easy to point at the older users and say "Ha ha... grandpa just can't keep up". But in reality, the older users are trying to help the new people out. We're fighting for software improvements while preserving some of the ease-of-use and intuitiveness that make the software powerful. What sounds like grumbling is, in fact, a love for the software and a passionate plea to stop making ham-handed attempts at reinventing the interface without input from real-world engineers with the heft of years of experience using Pro/E.

How many hours were spent creating that drawing ribbon interface that COULD have gone into improving the drawing mode functionality in general? Does anyone really believe that the users' top suggestion for improvement was that the interface didn't look more like Microsoft Office? Or does that feel like some fresh-out-of-college developers's idea of what a good improvement might be?

Anyway... I'll get down off my soapbox.

Thanks for listening...

-Brian

Excellent (and far more diplomatic ) response as usual.

I learned the power of Pro/E by going thru the books, and by going through all those "carpal tunnel" menus to learn as much as possible about the software. I didn't need to be or want to be spoon fed anything. I wanted to try as many different things as possible. As a result, I've had some techniques I developed within the first couple years of using it that PTC still probably doesn't know about. I didn't consider there to be "too many" menus, if there really WERE that many different commands, I wanted to learn ALL of them, and did learn the vast majority of them, especially when it came to geometry creation.

The "Lead vs. Follow workflow" idea introduced in the original WF is HORRIBLE. This is some "fresh-faced" developers interpretation of what a real, experienced user would want....and it failed miserable. Before, the geometry and edit geometry commands were segregated and easy to find. Now, especially for those advanced commands rarely used, you have to try and remember whether or not to highlight the geometry first. A TOTAL nightmare. 2 projection curves being a great example, as are surface merges etc. The GUI is the LEAST powerful tool, yet when it's bad, causes the worst frustration and lost time. And things like this as Brian M. pointed out: "

More? How about an On-Point Hole? That hole type doesn't even appear on the drop-down list! Unless you knew you USED to be able to do it back in the older, dinosaur days of Pro/E, you'd never even think to try it." and: "I don't resist the interface changes simply because they're new. I resist them because they've hidden commands or scattered them. I resist them because, in the name of saving a few picks, everything has gotten much less intuitive. I resist the changes because often they feel cursory. For example, why does my dashboard need to be at the top?"

As far as adding to their client base, I totally disagree with the warm and fuzzy Microsoft ribbon crap. You show an Engineering manager (generally one of us experienced crusty old guys) that the tool works for his experienced Engineers, and as long as the interface is intuitive, they're not gonna care if it's menu-based or icon-based. In fact, icons just suck. Hyroglyphics-based languages have all died off, except in the case of perhaps Chinese etc. Why? Because it's much easier to decipher a WORD than some indecipherable icon. sure, I can "hover" over every single friggin' icon......for 30sec while it thinks, but that's a waste of my time. A word, I can see and respond to instantly.

Here's a friendly challenge for you KevinB (w/4.5 years experience) from a crusty old guy (of 47): soon, I'll attach a couple STEP files I made of geometry when I'd only been on the system for maybe 4 years max, and one I did 1-1/2 years ago, and you see if you can duplicate them or explain how it was done. With one exception, these were done pre-WF, some on V17 or so. Up for it?

P.S. @Brian M.: I'll promise to try and go easy on him.

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member

Brian,

You've made really good arguments. I'll respond to some of it.

I said something like a new user of CAD would be happy with Pro/E. This does not mean he/she would not find fault with Pro/E. This individual has likely used plenty of other software with which to make comparisons and imagine some improvements in how the software operates.

I agree with your correction of my point when you said that a user's anger with the changes in Pro/E are directly correalated to that user's DEPTH of experience, you're right. I once worked with someone that had many more years of experience than myself and I went to him to ask questions about surfacing. He told me he did not use surfacing because he could make any solid model that surfacing techniques could make--at that moment I lost all confidence in his knowledge of CAD in general. For me, his lack of depth of knowledge rendered his future opinions about the software useless.

Likely, this is how you and Frank are reading my comments because my depth of knowledge is not as great as yours. Therefore, I will not comment on the specifics of the software changes. You two have provided good examples of bad changes in the software, and you have the right to vent. Jim Rohn says that the same wind blows on all of us, it the sails that make the difference (boating metaphor). Set your sails to make the best of what you've got. Additionally, from my point of view, if you don't like what you've been given then participate in making it better. Possibly, venting in these forums can affect a change in the decisions that PTC makes, but I think its minimal.

You said that with the pre-WF menu styles a "curious user" was encouraged to explore the software in more depth because the menus made the variety of tools more accessible because they could see them on the list. I think a curious user will explore all the menus and options of a software no matter how they are organized. With Creo, if you don't dig into menus to discover all the options, then you deserve what you get--which is a limit variety of geometry and functionality. I don't believe that interfaces are the problem.

You write well, Brian. I saw in another post that you feel you should start a blog--I agree. Then, in these discussions you can provide links to your blog.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin...

I tend to agree with just about everything you said in your reply. New users are very likely to have other software with which to make comparisons. In some respects Pro/E is a horse of a different color but within modern CAD software there are enough similarities for a reasonable comparison. I suppose my point is more that new users cannot make the comparison between "new" Pro/E and "old" Pro/E therefore they won't understand what they've lost.

Your anecdote about losing confidence in your co-worker's knowledge of CAD based on his comments about surfacing rings very true. I've had similar eye opening conversations with colleagues which have left me questioning their experience. Yet, in the case of this thread, I'm not reading your comments as those of an inexperienced user. I have worked very hard over my career not to discount others' opinions based on some inflated view of myself but rather to weigh the merits of their arguments fairly. Occasionally I'll get a bit too passionate about an issue but I try to keep my tone and comments respectful and non confrontational (with a little sarcasm tossed in here and there). In general, I'm all about winning people over to my side of a debate rather than shouting them down or intimidating them with my resume.

With our software tools, we certainly have to make the best of what we have. Still, I can lament the loss of intuitive features and long for the simplicity of a less flashy interface. If I want to influence the future of the software and voice my concerns to the developers at PTC, then I do have an obligation to get involved. To that end, I've joined as many of the PTC Technical Committees as I could. I think I'm on 4 of them now. I am unfortunately unable to join the in-person meetings the TC's are having this week in Needham at PTC Headquarters. It's killing me but I couldn't take the time away from work. Although venting on the forums may get a casual response from a PTC employee trolling around, working within the TC's is a far better way of being heard.

To some extent I agree that a curious user will always seek to learn. Yet I still believe the interface can be an obstacle to learning if it's too cluttered or disorganized. When features are placed in unreasonable locations and hidden within poorly labeled functions, you're certainly not making it easy to be curious. Even the old documentation was laid out in a way conducive to learning. The new help files force you to dig around and follow link upon link to build knowledge. In the old books (as in the old interface), groups of similar commands and features were placed together. Yes, a curious person will always go digging... but the interface and the help files are making it tougher than it needs to be.

I'd like to start a blog but I've got some other plans, too. I decide to start the blog and then decide NOT to start it at least twice a week. I'm afraid I won't have time to help people, create tutorials, and work on building a reputation if I split my focus too much. But thank you for the encouragement... who knows maybe I'll give in this week.

I haven't gone back to re-read any of my comments previously on the thread. Just incase I've inadvertently come off sounding pious or egocentric, let me take the time to officially restate that I welcome everyone's opinion. I think we all benefit when opinion and thought on Planet PTC remains diverse and vibrant. I hope to use my experience and knowledge to help others and contribute to the community in a positive way. It's never my intention to belittle others or discourage them from sharing their honest views.

Thanks and best regards,

-Brian

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags