cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why must the detail view always follow the layer display of the parent view? Is there a way around this stupid rule?

SOLVED

Why must the detail view always follow the layer display of the parent view? Is there a way around this stupid rule?

We need to show some tooling pins in a detailed view but they are just clutter in a parent view. Sketching them is a stupid work around.

The other stupid work around is to make the detailed view a general view and add the detail call out separately.

These represent stupid work-arounds - SWA

Does anyone know a way to control layers independently in a detailed view?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why must the detail view always follow the layer display of the parent view? Is there a way around this stupid rule?

My solution is to do a local cross-section in the parent view. It's just another work-around but it solves most of my issues.

Only 1 or 2 times a year do I need to make a detailed view in to a general view and then FAKE the view callouts.

I agree it would be a nice option to allow some control.

Stephen Williams
Pro/E Version 15/16 (Circa 1995/1996)
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Why must the detail view always follow the layer display of the parent view? Is there a way around this stupid rule?

The detail view is a very simple magnified copy of an enclosed portion of the original view. That is its only function. There are no other controls.

you could also do a component display in that view.. to hide what your dont want shown..

You can't blank a component in a detail view, you have to blank it in the parent view.

Stephen Williams

my mistake, just tested it.. coulda swore i have done it before.  hahah..

Yes, I'm aware of that.

I guess all I can hope for is that PTC will see fit to change that. Which I'm sure will happen any minute now.

My solution is to do a local cross-section in the parent view. It's just another work-around but it solves most of my issues.

Only 1 or 2 times a year do I need to make a detailed view in to a general view and then FAKE the view callouts.

I agree it would be a nice option to allow some control.

Stephen Williams

You should submit a product enhancement. I looked and didn't see one.

Stephen Williams

We have many components with small areas of high precision (hence the detailed views) so I find myself doing  the same #@!!&$ work-arounds on a very regular basis.

Not that it would actually get action but it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Stephen Williams