cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

learning Pro/E

ptc-2063632
1-Newbie

learning Pro/E

Hello ALL I am an experienced autocad user 15+ yrs exp. and I have approx 2 yrs with mechanical Desktop. What can I expect if I try to self learn Pro/E. ie How long does it take to become an "expert"? How helpful are the classes?
2 REPLIES 2

James, It's hard to answer your question precisely. As a former Pro/E instructor I am biased, but I think that at least the first course is very useful and recommended for most users for several reasons. First of all, the design philosophy you are coming from tends to be different enough that a guided overview with examples of Pro/E methods can get you started a lot faster than a lot of "What the **** is wrong with this thing?" time trying to make it do something the way you are used to doing it. Second, there is someone there to answer your questions. In the beginning you could get stuck for days on elementary questions that could be answered in minutes by an experienced instructor. After a first course you may be someone who can learn on your own; folks vary a lot in this regard. I was a user for years before being an instructor and consider myself pretty good at learning on my own. Nevertheless, I found all of the several course I took at that time very efficient at getting me up and running. The courses also include examples of functionality that you might not stumble upon for a long time on your own. Finally, if you have someone in your organization who knows Pro and is good at teaching, that can make a big difference. David
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:DavidButz)

I was a long time AutoCAD user as well. Over 14 yrs. Plus about a year on Inventor. All I can say is.... take the class. Either online with PTC University or at a training center. It's the same material, but in the classroom there's someone there to bounce things off. The basics are pretty easy... it's the subtlties that you can't get in a classroom that'll drive you bonkers. Drawing is a challenge, modeling and assembling are not too bad. I will say that having the basics under our belts, there is a lot we've learned through trial and error.... mostly error. Learning curve is not small... but not impossible.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite
Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags