cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

modify proe_borrow.bat for borrowing more than 14 days

MichaelHacker
7-Bedrock

modify proe_borrow.bat for borrowing more than 14 days

Hi all,

I'm looking for a possibility to do licenceborrowing for more than 14 days... does anybody know, if this is possible and how to do that?!

kind regard

Mike

13 REPLIES 13

Hello Michael

It is not possible set licence borrowing for 14 days.

Default licence borrowing period is set for max. 5 days:

borrow.png

Note: you can use USB Net Adapter for your licence (will be used as a license key)

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Hello Vladimir,

that's the normal setting. When you set environment variable "LM_BORROW_DURATION=0-14" you can set borrow-length up to 14 days. See Administration and Installationguide page A-14

I tried to push it up to 60 days, therefore I also edited some other files with variables of borrowing but it seems that 14 is the maximum

Hello Michael

Yes I know about this option - so I wrote that the default Settings is 5 days .

A few years ago was the setting for a maximum of 9 days, then extended it to 14.

If you need to borrow a license for a longer period (more then 14 days), I recommend to you use of USB Net Adapter

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Michael,

every piece of license code, which is used for borrowing contains keyword BORROW. This keyword determines maximum number of hours the product can be borrowed. PTC set the maximum to 360 hours, ie. 15 days.

Example:

INCREMENT PROE_FoundationAdv ptc_d 31.0 permanent 1 \
blablabla...

ISSUED=blablabla... BORROW=360 \
blablabla...

See also http://www.mathworks.com/help/base/install/license/briccid-1.html, paragraph Enabling License Borrowing.

The above mentioned information means, that you cannot borrow a license for more than 14 days (maybe 15 days is possible).

Martin

Martin Hanák

Pease find enclosed the reply from PTC regarding this issue:

"Hi Frieder,

--------------------
Customer Feedback: This is a serious limitation for CAD-users working usually in a pool of floating licenses but need to go for an installation with a laptop for more than two weeks. Please describe how to use a license longer when been absent longer than 14 days.

Article #: CS34737

--------------------

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback on this article.

We at PTC Technical Support have reviewed the feedback that was submitted for Knowledge Base Article CS34737.
At this time, our product does not support extending the license borrow beyond 14 days as it is a limitation from licensing tool (Flexera). We encourage you to Request this feature on the Product Ideas Page http://communities.ptc.com/index.jspa and/ or Vote on it if the idea already exists. This will help Product Management prioritize the feature effectively."

I have just written an new idea, which is open for your voring:

borrow license for more than 14 days

Unless Flexera has changed the code, I know of another CAD vendor who by default the borrow is 14 days, but with a system environment variable it can be extended to 29 days max. So the limitation may be a PTC setting, depending on what has changed with the Flexera code.

Could you please give the vendor and product name, that allows 29days borrowing with flexera? I'd like to forward this to PTC as reference.

velico
7-Bedrock
(To:fmueller)

For example Autodesk Autocad that uses the same license server software as PTC (FLEXHERA):

1. the borrowing default time is 180 days
  2. it is possible to return the borrowed license in advance to the server (that is impossible with PTC)

I think that this is not a Flexhera (i.e. technical) limitation but instead a PTC policy!

Due to so short borrowing time this feature in PTC is pratically useless.....

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:velico)

PTC does allow returning licenses early, see CS31332.

Hi,

another example ... Keyshot floating license (www.keyshot.com) can be borrowed up to 720 hours = 30 days.

MH

Martin Hanák
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:BenLoosli)

I found this on the Internet, which agrees with the AutoCAD license borrowing settings:

Borrowing licenses in FlexLM

In order to enable license borrowing, the software publisher should issue a floating license file with a FEATURE or INCREMENT line that contains the BORROW keyword, for example:
INCREMENT 3d_to_2d_flattener ugslmd 27.0 06-nov-2012 1 SUPERSEDE \
DUP_GROUP=UHD user_info=”NX 2D Exchange” ISSUED=06-sep-2012 \
BORROW=2880 ck=194 SIGN=”code”
In the example above, the BORROW time was restricted tp 2880 hours = 120 days. The maximal value for borrowing licenses in FlexLM is 180 days.

A user specifies the expiration date a borrowed license is to be returned, which should be equal to or smaller than the BORROW parameter above. This expiration date is set by applying a value to the LM_BORROW environment variable. This is done either directly, or by running the lmborrow utility, or by setting it in the application (when available).

The user then runs the application while connected to the network which writes borrowing information on the client computer. The license server keeps the borrowed license checked out. If enabled by the software publisher, borrowed licenses can be returned early, prior to the borrow period expiration.

When the expiration period has elapsed, or after having returned the borrowed license early, the local borrowing data no longer authorizes the license checkout, and the license server returns the borrowed license to the pool of available licenses.

I think it is not neccassary to discuss what Software can borrow licences for what time schedule. Fact is, Flexhera is not the issue but licensefile of PTC. So I think Ben opend a Idea for voting. So everyone who likes to have more days for borrow please vote for it 😉 Ben perhaps you can place a link to your idea right here?

Thank you for all replies.

I repeat the link to the idea, which is open vor voting here again:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/borrow-license-for-more-than-14-days/idi-p/456598

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags