cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Anyone running Creo 3 on MacBook and Apple 27" display - hows your graphics?

sdesaulles
3-Visitor

Anyone running Creo 3 on MacBook and Apple 27" display - hows your graphics?

I know its not a supported configuration, so please don't tell me that.

I am running Windows 10 (not supported by PTC) a Retina MacBook Pro early 2013 (not supported by PTC), which runs Creo just fine so long as its on the built in display. (15.4" color display with 2880x1800 native resolution - aprox 5.1Mpixels)

When I plug in the external monitor on a Thunderbolt connection, (2560x1440 resolution - aprox 3.7 Mpixels) so in theory about 1/3 less pixels, Creo3 M060 the pan, rotate etc are incredably "laggy" and jump in big steps.  It seems to make no difference if I use the

I just reactivated my SolidWorks license and for comparison exported a STEP file from Creo3 to SolidWorks.  It rotates fast and smoothly with no 'tweaking' of graphics settings.

I have tried the obvious stuff

• updating drivers
  • changing shade quality to low
  • changing line quality to low
  • switching off all datums
  • trying wireframe etc - yes, that's right, even in wireframe it runs like a dog!

Are there any users out there running the same or similar "common" in the real world setup - but not in the PTC Creo one - who have similar issues they have solved.  If so, how did you do it please?

Thanks

Stephen

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Stephen,

did you test config.pro option that turn off OPENGL ?

graphics win32_gdi

MH

Martin Hanák

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the response, I thing I did try that in a previous OS, Win 8.1 I think.  I now can't remember where PTC hide that option, I look in File / OPtions / Configuration Editor... and list alphabetically, for "all options", for "current session", for the config in my user folder and the one in the program folder (I doubt any other software has so many locations to hide things) but cannot see anything starting "graphics....".

Could you remind me where PTC conceal this one please.

Thanks

Stephen

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:sdesaulles)

It's a hidden option.

Find the file CONFIG.PRO on your computer and add the line using a text editor.

graphics win32_gdi

Hi Stephen, thanks for your advice.

Ah, hidden, of course, why would they make it simple? I did as you suggested (what other CAD package has you chasing options using notepad - Creo is truly unique)

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried it, and yes, it does improve the performance on the external display - it now rotates. pans and zooms at moderate speed, although switching off the open GL now seems to change the colours totally and it is re-rendering individual surfaces as it moves, so definitely still way worse that if displayed with Open GL on on the MacBook's own display.

I think I either use SolidWorks - that seems to just "behave" on the external display, as does Keyshot, or use the MacBook's retina display and wear my glasses! Not my preferred option, but Creo often fails to allow what you actually want.

All the best

Stephen.

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags