cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Is there any way to model a new part by first drawing it?

ssyal
1-Newbie

Is there any way to model a new part by first drawing it?

Hi,   

I want to know that is there any way that the models can be built by the drawing their different views first. Like firstly drawing the front, top and isometric view and from that obtaining the model automatically.

Also how can i change the dimensions of the model by changing it from the drawing mode.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9
Jacek_Mydlikows
6-Contributor
(To:ssyal)

no, this is not possible in ordinary Creo package as far as I am aware

maybe there is extra plug-in which solves such issue but I doubt

some time ago there was something like that developed by PTC itself, named AutobuildZ

I do not know if it is availaible nowadays. However mailny aim of this module was to faciliate creating 2D sketches from dwg or dxf drawings and then using them for extrude, revolve an so forth

pimm
14-Alexandrite

Our department was just talking about this yesterday.

We have not found a way to start a drawing with just 2D geometry.

We are finding applications where we have to lay the groundwork for a design in 2D and with what is derived we would build the 3d models.  With this requirement we have found it necessary at this point to completely bypass Creo for the 2D groundwork.

We don't want to buy another application to be able to do the drawing groundwork.  We don't want to have to import the derived 2D geometry from another software.

Constantin
13-Aquamarine

You might want to look into 'Creo Layout'. Basically from my understanding that is exactly what that tool does: create 2D dimensioned layouts (with grouped 2D elements that are part of one component) and use it to create and drive 3D components.

PTC Creo Layout | 2D-Konzeptentwürfe | PTC

mender
6-Contributor

Things that may be useful/suitable here:

Autobuildz:  take draft entities for front/top/left views, build the 3D model.  Originally intended for supporting legacy data where all you have is a DXF/IGES of a drawing, and you want to build a solid model, but could be applied here.

Creo Direct, as noted above.

Creo Layout, for conceptual design:  make underconstrained sketches in a 2D environment, able to use this geometry to drive the solid design when you eventually get to making the solid.

To the side question, unless you have set up your config.pro options or PDM access rights to disallow it, you can just change the value on the shown dimension in drawing, with the Edit Value command or with double-click / properties dialog.

Hope one or another of those proves helpful!

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:mender)

Matthew and Constantin:  Creo Layout might possibly bridge some 2D/3D needs together.  I've e-mailed our reseller for pricing.  It would be nice if one could demo this before seeing whether this would be worth purchasing.

Jacek_Mydlikows
6-Contributor

I thought Creo layout was some kind of Assembly Skeleton approach based on drawing environment(to control assembly form drawing mode level).

And you are right, Jacek. There is ALSO a layout function inside Creo Parametric as you describe and have some functional overlap. Layout has been there for a long time.
'Creo Layout' is an extra App and was introduced in Creo (2.0?).

mender
6-Contributor
(To:Constantin)

Note, with the introduction of Creo Layout, the old Layout mode was renamed to Notebook.  Its old identity lives on in the filename extension .lay.  (And confirming while I'm here that while Notebook has its uses, they are not related to this particular thread.)

gnewman
1-Newbie

I don't think what you are asking for is possible, as to create a 3D from various projection would require interpretation of the views. Which I think would need pretty advanced A.I.

But is anything stopping you just creating a sketch in the correct plane in 3D for each view?

Then at a later date this can be transformed into 3D.

Top Tags