cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

STEP import into a single part

VitoSimotti
1-Newbie

STEP import into a single part

Hi

I want to convert a whole assembly into a single part with an export and import of a STEP file. While importing the STEP file it's possible to define "import as a part"... Unfortunately the parts are imported all to the standard coordsys and not to the originally exported coordsys.

Is there an config option for that?

regards

Vito

6 REPLIES 6

Vito,

I want to make sure I understand what you are trying to do to see if I can provide some suggestions. Is this correct?

• Export a Pro/ENGINEER assembly to STEP
    • Are you exporting to a monolithic file or multiple STEP files?
  • Import the STEP data back into Pro/ENGINEER as a single part
    • Are you saying that the components are repositioned to the default csys?
    • or
    • Are you saying that the components are positioned correctly but they are all refernecing the default csys?

If you have a particular data set that you would like me to take a look at I am happy to do so.

Regards,

Rosemary

Rosemary

I want to export to a monolithic file. All components are not positioned correctly, they are repositioned to the default csys.

I'm using WF4 M150 and I have tried the M200.

Regards

Vito

Vito,

Are you required to use STEP? Iges and JT can both export to a single file and will maintain the component positions.

Rosemary

Rosemary

ok, that is a good idea. I will also try create an shrinkwrap bevor exporting....

many thanks for your help

Regards

Vito

Rosemary

btw. ... I have found a hidden config option "intf3d_in_as_part yes". Now all imported parts are on the right position....

Vito,

Thanks for the update. This config was meant for importing CATIA V4 model assemblies & STEP assemblies as parts. In general, PTC does not recommend importing actual assemblies as parts, but this was implemented against a customer SPR for a particular need that at least one customer had, which is why it is currently public hidden. There is no guarantee that the results of attempting part import of an assembly will work without it, but hopefully it will suit your needs and will allow you to successfully get the monolithic file you were looking for.

Regards,

Rosemary

Top Tags