cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Configuring ThingWorx Federation

No ratings

Previously

Overview

Using the C SDK Edge client configuration we did earlier, we'll now create above illustrated setup. In this C SDK Client we'll push the data to ThingWorx Publisher with servername : TW802Neo to ThingWorx Subscriber servername : TW81. Notice that the SteamSensor2 on the pulisher server is the one binding to the C SDK client and the FederatedSteamThing on subscriber is only getting data from the SteamSensor2. Let's crack on!

Content

1. Configure ThingWorx to publish
  2. Configure ThingWorx to subscribe
  3. Publish entities from Publisher to the Subscriber
  4. Create Mashup to view data published to the subscriber

Pre-requisite
Minimum requirement is to have two ThingWorx servers running. Note that both ThingWorx systems can be publisher & subscriber at the same time.

Configure ThingWorx Publisher

Configuring Federation Subsystem

1. Navigate to ThingWorx Composer > Subsystems > Federation Subsystems and configure the following highlighted sections

Essentially its required to configure the Server Identification, i.e. My Server name (FQDN / IP) , My Server Description (optional)

Federation subscribers this server publishes to, i.e. all the server you want to publish to from this server. Refer to the Federation Subsystem doc in the Help Center to check detail description on each configurable parameter.

2. Save the federation subsystem

Configuring a Thing to be published

1. Navigate back to the Composer home page and select the entity which you'd like to publish
2. In this case I'm using SteamSensor2 which is created to connect to the C SDK client
3. To publish edit the entity and click on Publish checkbox, like so

4. Save the entity

Configure ThingWorx Subscriber

Configuring Federation Subsystem

1. Navigate to ThingWorx Composer > Subsystems > Federation Subsystems and configure the following highlighted sections

Essentially its required to configure the Server Identification, i.e. My Server name (FQDN / IP) , My Server Description (optional)

Refer to help center doc on Federation Subsystems should you need more detail on the configurable parameter

If you only want to use this server as a subscriber of entities from the publishing ThingWorx Server, in that case you don't have to Configure the section Federation subscribers this server publishes to, I've configured here anyway to show that both servers can work as publishers and subscribers

2. Save the federation subsystem

Configuring a Thing to subscribe to a published Thing

1. Subscribing to an entity is fairly straight forward, I'll demonstrate by utilizing the C SDK client which is currently pushing values to my remote thing called SteamSensor2 on server https://tw802neo:443/Thingworx
2. I have already Published the StreamSensor2, see above section Configuring a Thing to be published
3. Create a Thing called FederatedStreamThing with RemoteThingWithTunnels as ThingTemplate,
4. Browser for the Identifier and select the required entity to which binding must be done, like so

5. Navigate to the Properties section for the entity, click Manage Bindings to search for the remote properties like so for adding them to this thing:

6. Save the entity and then we can see the values that were pushed from the client C SDK

7. Finally, we can also quickly see the values pulled via a Mashup created in the subscriber ThingWorx , below a is a simple mashup with grid widget pulling values using QueryPropertyHistory service

Comments

Hello,

Does this federated setup also allows (VNC) tunneling to the edge device from the 'Subscriber' Thingworx server ?

Tom

Version history
Last update:
‎Jul 03, 2018 09:07 AM
Updated by: