cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Send request to InfluxDB

100% helpful (3/3)

Hello everyone,

After a recent presales experience, I wanted to make my knowledge available to you. The core of this article is to demonstrate how you can format a Flux request in Thingworx and post it to InfluxDB, with the aim of reporting the need for performance in calculations to InfluxDB. The following context is renewable energy.

There is no detail about Kepware and how to connect to InfluxDB. As a prerequisite, you may like to read this article: Using Influx to store Value Stream properties from... - PTC Community

Introduction

The following InfluxDB usage has been developped for an electricity energy provider
We deal with Wind farm, Solar farm and Battery Storage.

Technical Context

Kepware is used as a source of data. A simulation for Wind assets based on excel file is configured, delivering sata in realtime.
SQL Database also gather the same data than the simulation in Kepware. It is used to load historical data into InfluxDB, addressing cases of temporary data loss. Once back online, SQL help to records the lost data in InfluxDB and computes the KPIs.
InfluxDB is used to store data overtime as well as calculated KPIs.
Invoicing third party system is simulated to get electricity price according time of the day.

Orchestration between TWX and InfluxDB

Thingworx v9.4.4

• Set the numeric property to log
  • Maintain control over execution logic
  • Format Flux request with dynamic inputs to send to Influx DB

InfluxDB Cloud v2

• Store logged property
  • Enable quick data read
  • Execute calculation

Note: Free InfluxDB version is slower in write and read, and only 30 days data retention max.

Thingworx model and services

Thingworx context

Due to the fact relevant numeric properties are logged overtime, new KPIs are calculated based on the logged data. In the following example, each Wind asset triggered each minute a calculation to get the monetary gain based on current power produced and current electricity price.
The request is formated in Thingworx, pushed and executed in InfluxDB. Thus, Thingworx server memory is not used for this calculation.

QuentinR_0-1722326666755.png

Services breakdown

CalculateMonetaryKPIs

• Entry point service to calculate monetary KPIs. Use the two following services: Trigger the FormatFlux service then inject it in Post service.
  • Inputs:
    • No input
  • Output:
    • NOTHING

FormatFlux _CalculateMonetaryKPI

• Format the request in Flux format for monetary KPI calculation. Respect the Flux synthax used by InfluxDB.
  • Inputs:
    • bucketName (STRING)
    • thingName (STRING)
  • Output:
    • TEXT

PostTextToInflux

• Generic service to post the request to InfluxDB, whatever the request is
  • Inputs:
    • FluxQuery (TEXT)
    • influxToken (STRING)
    • influxUrl (STRING)
    • influxOrgName (STRING)
    • influxBucket (STRING)
    • thingName (STRING)
  • Output:
    • INFOTABLE

Highlights - CalculateMonetaryKPIs

Find in attachments the full script in "CalculateMonetaryKPIs script.docx".

Url, token, organization and bucket are configured in the Persitence Provider used by the ValueStream. We dynamically get it from the ValueStream attached to this thing.

QuentinR_0-1722327692129.png

From here, we can reuse it to set the inputs of two other services using “MyConfig”.

QuentinR_1-1722327697183.pngQuentinR_2-1722327700562.png

Highlights - FormatFlux_CalculateMonetaryKPI

Find in attachments the full script in "FormatFlux_CalculateMonetaryKPI script.docx".

The major part of this script is a text, in Flux synthax, where we inject dynamic values. The service get the last values of ElectricityPrice, Power and Capacity to calculate ImmediateMonetaryGain, PotentialMaxMonetaryGain and PotentialMonetaryLoss.

Flux logic might not be easy for beginners, so let's break down the intermediate variables created on the fly in the Flux request. Let’s take the example of the existing data in the bucket (with only two minutes of values):

_time

_measurement

_field

_value

2024-07-03T14:00:00Z

WindAsset1

ElectricityPrice

WindAsset1

Power

WindAsset1

Capacity

2024-07-03T15:00:00Z

WindAsset1

ElectricityPrice

WindAsset1

Power

WindAsset1

Capacity

The request articulates with the following steps:

1. Get source value
    • Get last price, store it in priceData

_time

ElectricityPrice

• Get last power, store it in powerData

_time

Power

• Get last capacity, store it in capacityData

_time

Capacity

2. Join the three tables *Data on the same time. Last values of price, power and capacity maybe not set at the same time, so final joinedData may be empty.

_time

ElectricityPrice

Power

Capacity

3. Perform calculations
    • gainData store the result: ElectricityPrice * Power

_time

_measurement

_field

_value

WindAsset1

ImmediateMonetaryGain

• maxGainData store the result: ElectricityPrice * Capacity
    • lossData store the result: ElectricityPrice * (Capacity – Power)
  4. Add the result to original bucket

Highlights - PostTextToInflux

Find in attachments the full script in "PostTextToInflux script.docx".

Pretty straightforward script, the idea is to have a generic script to post a request. The header is quite original with the vnd.flux content type

QuentinR_0-1722330295960.png

Url needs to be formatted according InfluxDB API

QuentinR_1-1722330304670.png

Well done!

Thanks to these steps, calculated values are stored in InfluxDB. Other services can be created to retrieve relevant InfluxDB data and visualize it in a mashup.

Last comment
It was the first time I was in touch with Flux script, so I wasn't comfortable, and I am still far to be proficient. After spending more than a week browsing through InfluxDB documentation and running multiple tests, I achieved limited success but nothing substantial for a final outcome.
As a last resort, I turned to ChatGPT. Through a few interactions, I quickly obtained convincing results. Within a day, I had a satisfactory outcome, which I fine-tuned for relevant use.

Here is two examples of two consecutive ChatGPT prompts and answers. It might need to be fine-tuned after first answer.
QuentinR_1-1722331056940.png

Right after, I asked to convert it to a Thingworx script format:
QuentinR_2-1722331125063.png

In this last picture, the script won’t work. The fluxQuery is not well formatted for TWX. Please, refer to the provided script "FormatFlux_CalculateMonetaryKPI script.docx" to see how to format the Flux query and insert variables inside.
Despite mistakes, ChatGPT still mainly provides relevant code structure for beginners in Flux and is an undeniable boost for writing code.

Version history
Last update:
‎Jul 30, 2024 07:20 AM
Updated by:
Attachments
Contributors