cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

MathCad 13 vs MathCad 14 - a problem with a "solve" function

DN_11123007
3-Visitor

MathCad 13 vs MathCad 14 - a problem with a "solve" function

Hello everyone

I worked on MathCad 13 for years, but recently switched to MathCad 14.

Generally, both versions are very similar, but it turned out that I have a problem - MathCad 14 is not able to solve some equations using the "solve" function, which version 13 solved. After a few seconds of "struggle", an error message appears, as in the attached graphic.

In turn, in cases where version 14 solves equations created in version 13, it does it very slowly - in version 13 they were solved immediately after opening the file, and in version 14 you have to wait a long time, even about 10 seconds.

What is the problem and how to solve it?

I would like to mention that I cannot return to version 13, which I would like to do.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

As Luc already wrote there was a change in the symbolic processor from Mathcad 13 to Mathcad 14.

And while I would say that MC14 is an improvment over MC13, this sure does not apply to symbolic operations. Maple as symbolic engine sure was the best engine Mathcad ever had and the successors (muPad since Mathcad 14 and FriCas/Axiom  since Prime 6) are clearly inferior to it.

Concerning the equation you try to solve we can say:

1) The symbolics seems to was improved over time. With the last version of Mathcad 15 (actually just a further maintenance release of MC14) I get

Werner_E_2-1717924435171.png

2) After you finally posted your worksheet it could be seen that all other variables in your equation are numerically defined - that means that you are just looking for a numeric solution, not a symbolic one! So there is no reason for using the symbolic "solve" command anyway.

You can use one of Mathcads numeric solvers. These basically are the "root" function (can be used in two ways) or a solve block with "find":

Werner_E_1-1717924106669.png

Mathcad 15 sheet attached, You should have no problems opening it with MC14.
The symbolic "solve" possibly still will fail in your version, but I expect that the numeric methods will work OK.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:DN_11123007)

The symbolic processor in Mathcad 13 is Maple. In Mathcad 14 it is Mupad. There is quite some difference between these two in terms of what they can solve and how the output is presented.

Note that neither of the two versions is supported anymore.

Success!

Luc

So, does it mean that version 14 is worse than version 13, to put it simply?

In my case the calculations take much longer or fail at all...

And the question from my previous post remains - how to solve that specific problem, concerning this equation shown before?

Please send a file *.mcd or *.xmcd instead of *.jpg.

Here it is.

Even under the obviously necessary condition phi >0, no convergence occurs. Therefore, in MC14, I was left with only the attached solution.

Therefore, in MC14, I was left with only the attached solution.

I can spot no solution value in your sheet.

We would have to compare f(phi( with phi to find the moist suitable values:

Werner_E_0-1717941337456.png

But we could let Mathcad do this job and  use the "Lookup" function from the Data Analysis Extension Pack to find the values closest to the solution (within the precision set by your approach):

Werner_E_0-1717928527926.png

Nonetheless I would suggest to rather use Mathcads numeric facilities as explained in detail here: https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad/MathCad-13-vs-MathCad-14-a-problem-with-a-quot-solve-quot/m-p/955219/highlight/true#M212410

As Luc already wrote there was a change in the symbolic processor from Mathcad 13 to Mathcad 14.

And while I would say that MC14 is an improvment over MC13, this sure does not apply to symbolic operations. Maple as symbolic engine sure was the best engine Mathcad ever had and the successors (muPad since Mathcad 14 and FriCas/Axiom  since Prime 6) are clearly inferior to it.

Concerning the equation you try to solve we can say:

1) The symbolics seems to was improved over time. With the last version of Mathcad 15 (actually just a further maintenance release of MC14) I get

Werner_E_2-1717924435171.png

2) After you finally posted your worksheet it could be seen that all other variables in your equation are numerically defined - that means that you are just looking for a numeric solution, not a symbolic one! So there is no reason for using the symbolic "solve" command anyway.

You can use one of Mathcads numeric solvers. These basically are the "root" function (can be used in two ways) or a solve block with "find":

Werner_E_1-1717924106669.png

Mathcad 15 sheet attached, You should have no problems opening it with MC14.
The symbolic "solve" possibly still will fail in your version, but I expect that the numeric methods will work OK.

Hello @DN_11123007

It looks like you have some responses from some community members. If any of these replies helped you solve your question please mark the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution. 

Of course, if you have more to share on your issue, please let the Community know so other community members can continue to help you.

Thanks,
Community Moderation Team.

Thanks guys for all the answers.

Top Tags