cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

How to dynamically create assets in manufacturing apps and to change naming conventions

AjaySrini
6-Contributor

How to dynamically create assets in manufacturing apps and to change naming conventions

PFB the topics where I need some clarity. Kindly advice.

1. I have a set of assets in Thingworx already which is connected to Kepware (tag mapping done) and I now need to have all those assets with same properties and tag mapping in Manufacturing Apps. Is there any way I can get it done without creating all those entities manually in Manufacturing Apps.

2. When I connect Kepware with Manufacturing Apps, I could see all the assets in Kepware are created in Thingworx with the KEPServerEX connection name prefixed before the asset name. And i was told by PTC that it is the out of box capability of Manufacturing Apps. If that is the case, is there a way to change the naming convention of asset while creating ?

3. Also when we create assets manually in Manufacturing Apps the things are created in Thingworx with 'Asset'. Can i change this naming convention too ?

4. How to create assets in Manufacturing Apps dynamically from a service in Thingworx Thing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @AjaySrini ,

Please find the responses for your queries :

1) For displaying existing assets in manufacturing apps you need to set value of displayName property of the asset. The asset will be displayed in manufacturing apps console with displayName property value. Make sure the your asset should be based on PTC.ISA95.PhysicalAssetThingTemplate.

2) Yes, it is OOTB capability of Manufacturing Apps to create things KEPServerEX connection name prefixed before asset name while discover devices. Please share your exact use case so that we can discuss this internally more on it.

3) Yes you can change the naming convention while creation of assets from manufacturing apps. You need to customize SetEquipmentEntityName of PTC.SCA.SCO.AssetResourceProvider. Please refer section "Configuring the Thing Name Format For Your Equipment Type" in Manufacturing Apps customization guide for details.

4) For creating assets dynamically using service, you need to write custom service and need to set the template and other relevant things like tags etc in the service itself.

Thanks,

Himanshu

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi @AjaySrini ,

Please find the responses for your queries :

1) For displaying existing assets in manufacturing apps you need to set value of displayName property of the asset. The asset will be displayed in manufacturing apps console with displayName property value. Make sure the your asset should be based on PTC.ISA95.PhysicalAssetThingTemplate.

2) Yes, it is OOTB capability of Manufacturing Apps to create things KEPServerEX connection name prefixed before asset name while discover devices. Please share your exact use case so that we can discuss this internally more on it.

3) Yes you can change the naming convention while creation of assets from manufacturing apps. You need to customize SetEquipmentEntityName of PTC.SCA.SCO.AssetResourceProvider. Please refer section "Configuring the Thing Name Format For Your Equipment Type" in Manufacturing Apps customization guide for details.

4) For creating assets dynamically using service, you need to write custom service and need to set the template and other relevant things like tags etc in the service itself.

Thanks,

Himanshu

abarki
15-Moonstone
(To:hchanana)

Hi @AjaySrini,

Did you get the chance to review the answers from @hchanana ? All your questions have been addressed therefore, kindly mark the post as Accepted Solution, this will benefit other community members. ;o)

Thank you.

abarki

Top Tags