cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

All that BOM!

SavaS
6-Contributor

All that BOM!

The ideas section is not active, so I will pour out my pain here.

While this is great software, there are some things I'm sure can be improved, but no one has improved them in decades as far as I can see. Like the good old BOM!

How good would be for the designers to be able to create a BOM directly in a 3D modeling application and then just to call it in Annotation application or just to print it in a file. Also directly to set some properties for the parts or subassemblies in such a 3D modeling BOM like the following: ITEM, PART NUMBER, REVISION NUMBER, DESCRIPTION, COMMENTS, STOCK NUMBER, MATERIAL, QUANTITY, MASS (automatic, depending on material) and other properties - like in all contemporary programs!

I started reading the help on how to configure BOM and I think I have to finish my second higher education to be able to do something! Then I saw that various people had difficulty with this back in 2007 and still have.

Why? ! I hope this will be improved, but my hope is very weak. This great software looks a bit like a motherless child...

4 REPLIES 4
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:SavaS)

Are you using a PDM system with your Creo data? There is a lot that can be done with a CAD structure in PDMLink.

You can also format a BOM report in Creo and customize it to report what information you want. This is independent of what can be done in a repeat region generated BOM on the face of a drawing.

SavaS
6-Contributor
(To:BenLoosli)

I use or more precisely study the free version Creo Elements Direct Modeling Express. 

This is exactly why Nitro-BOM was created.  Nitro-BOM has very powerful structure extraction to Excel in customizable formats.  You can also manipulating Creo Parameters from Excel and pushing them back, and doing amazing things with the BOM data via Power Query in Excel for advanced reporting and manipulation.

Nitro-BOM has a FREE license (just download and follow the dialogs) - Demo License unlocks ALL the features.  Plenty of help videos on-line to get you up to speed and useful quickly.

Taking Creo BOM data to 11 with Power Query in Excel (typically for merging and analyzing BOM data): 

Depending on your needs - Nitro-CELL also has some capabilities in this area - but not as rich as Nitro-BOM.

And there is also CREOSON which can so some cool things also for extracting and manipulating data via an OpenSource API for more custom things.

Hope this helps!

Dave

SavaS
6-Contributor
(To:DavidBigelow)

Thanks, this is interesting but it is for Creo Parametric. I was talking abuot  Creo Elements Direct Modeling (which also is different from Creo Direct ). Jungle!

Top Tags