cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Can 20.3 Version save 20.1 file version?

Kaji
4-Participant

Can 20.3 Version save 20.1 file version?

If I have Creo Elements Direct 20.3, can I set 20.1 as default file version?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
lfortner
11-Garnet
(To:Kaji)

Hello Kaji,

From 20.0, PTC changed the release naming. They treated the version decimal point not as a minor release, but as a major release.

18.1 is an important but minor release of 18.0

20.0, 20.1, 20.2 and 20.3 are treated as major release respectively (see PTC article  CS233356)

Then:

18.1 saves back to 17.0

19.0 saves back to 18.0

20.0 saves back to 19.0

20.1 saves back to 20.0

20.2 saves back to 20.1

20.3 saves back to 20.2

Hope this help

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
lfortner
11-Garnet

I'm afraid you cannot do it straight forward. Modeling support just 1 major version back.

From Modeling 20.3, save your model with version 20.2 and from a modeling 20.2 save it to version 20.1.

Kaji
4-Participant
(To:lfortner)

Maybe you are right, but I remember that before the 20.1 (I don't know 20.0)  it was possible save two version back: from the 19.0 to 18.1 and 18.0 , from the 18.1 to 18.0 and 17.50 etc etc.

So I hope the same for te 20.3 version.

lfortner
11-Garnet

Hello Kaji,

From 20.0, PTC changed the release naming. They treated the version decimal point not as a minor release, but as a major release.

18.1 is an important but minor release of 18.0

20.0, 20.1, 20.2 and 20.3 are treated as major release respectively (see PTC article  CS233356)

Then:

18.1 saves back to 17.0

19.0 saves back to 18.0

20.0 saves back to 19.0

20.1 saves back to 20.0

20.2 saves back to 20.1

20.3 saves back to 20.2

Hope this help

You can force a save backwards, but not in Model Manager

This works if you know the release.  For example, the command below will set Creo to save to version 19.0.

(bin-io-revision :MR-19-RELEASE)

Regards

Tom

Creo Element\Direct Modeling 20.6.0.0.0

Perfectly right.

Basically, CED can store almost all old versions by using the (secret) primitive:
(bin-io-revision :SOME-RELEASE)

However, when using PDM (MM? WGM?), this setting overwritten (reset) any time
you save data to the database. You can only use the option to save "one version backwards".

I assume you are running in "mixed CED environment"  (CED 20.3 and CED 20.1 using a common DB).

Are you using a "Part Library" for creating standard parts (screws, bolts etc.)?
If yes, it can happen that a user running CED 20.3 silently creates a new standard part in the DB.
and users running CED 20.1 have no chance to use this library part (and it is very hard to get rid
of such a library part in case that it is being used in an assembly).

Kaji
4-Participant

Thanks for the answer but this is a problem for me, I've to use PDM.

A question I have similar to this.  Can Modeling 20.3 save to 20.1 Model Manager?

Thanks

Tom

not possible with OOTB Model Manager as described already.
the ideal solution would be to get this from PTC.

Alternatives are possible, but at significant cost (consulting, customization).

What I meant was, can we upgrade our modeling to 20.3, if everyone in the company does it, without having to upgrade model manager.

Well, this is a totally different question.
The answer is YES and NO.

Explanation:
CED 20.3 is a major release as well as CED 20.2 and CED 20.1
As such, you will need a matching Model Manager Client - in your example a MM 20.3.x Client.
Getting/building a MM 20.3 Client is not a big deal - however, you should have MM under support
to legally use the higher (=major) Version of Model Manager.
I guess you want to avoid upgrading the Model Manager Database, because that may become a major
project depending on your enviroment in the Company.
According to official PTC platform support, MM 20.3 can connect to a Database (schema) of 20.0 or later.
See: https://www.ptc.com/support/-/media/support/refdocs/Creo_Elements_Direct_Model_Manager_Drawing_Manager/20,-d-,3/Creo_Elements_Direct_Manager_Server_20_3.pdf?sc_lang=en

So it is technically supported to upgrade the MM Client only - provided that you are authorized to run the software. Hope this helps.

Well, my question about authorization was somehow superflouos.
As MM 20.3 is a major release (compared to MM 20.2 and 20.1), you will need "upgrade licenses".
So you either have MM under support or you will not be able to run MM 20.3.

有没有Creo Elements Direct Modeling 20.6.1 的文件和许可证

有一种高版本转低版本的lisp

Top Tags