cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Keeping the unit settings of the 3-D model in Annotation

Deguza
1-Newbie

Keeping the unit settings of the 3-D model in Annotation

Hello All:

When I am creating a 2-D drawing in Annotation module, the dimensions are completely different from that of the 3-D model.

How do I transfer the unit settings?

Deguza

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member
(To:Deguza)

There is no way (that I know of) to "transfer unit settings" from 3D to dimensions in Annotation. You must manually set them in each place. Whatever units are set in Modeling are visible in Annotation, so you can go to the Default Settings browser and specify the length style for dimensions and still see what your modeling units are.

What we do is to set them both to be "mm" as part of our customization of Modeling and Annotation, because that is our standard-especially for drawings.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member

There is no way (that I know of) to "transfer unit settings" from 3D to dimensions in Annotation. You must manually set them in each place. Whatever units are set in Modeling are visible in Annotation, so you can go to the Default Settings browser and specify the length style for dimensions and still see what your modeling units are.

What we do is to set them both to be "mm" as part of our customization of Modeling and Annotation, because that is our standard-especially for drawings.

Thank you Peter.

Say that I do both mechanical and construction drawings. I need to use decimal inches for mechanical and decimal feet for construction.

• Is there a quick way of switching between the two?
  • Also, does Creo Elements keep track of units on a project basis?

Thanks,

Deguza

PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member

The Default Settings Browser is a quick way to switch between different units. In versions 18 and 18.1, go to File->Settings->Default Settings. (In version 17 go to Edit->Settings->Default Settings.)

In the Default Settings Browser you can set up different styles for dimensioning, so you could have one style for mechanical drawings and one for construction. Each style can not only have different units, but other properties (like text size, arrow type, etc.) can be different for each style.

Creo Elements/Direct Modeling does not keep track of units on a project basis-it is on a user basis (each user can have their own default units when they start up). One way to do set it up on a project basis would be to create a custom startup script which would modify the startup files. For example, you could have a batch file for one project which copies some startup files into your startup directory which sets the units for that project and then launches Creo Elements/Direct Modeling. Another batch file could copy a different set of startup files before launching Creo Elements/Direct Modeling.

Top Tags