cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rasberry Pi just showing rainbow screen

JonathonFowler
10-Marble

Rasberry Pi just showing rainbow screen

I have the disc image for the sigma tile, and have written it to the micro sd card, but when I plug it into my monitor via the HDMI I just get a rainbow screen with a little yellow lightning bolt at the top right of my screen. I have tried installing NOOBS onto a different micro SD card and that works fine. Any idea what the problem is with the sigma tile disc image? I downloaded this file from another thread.

Just some more information, I am using win32DiskImager, no hash. The file I'm using in the diskImager is 15gb, and it splits my micro sd card into a boot partition, and a 6gb partition that says it needs formatting before I can use it. 

Jon

11 REPLIES 11
SergeRomano
6-Contributor

Yes.  Based on your description and if you attempted to plug a monitor via HDMI and get a rainbow screen, it means something is wrong with your image.  

We have actually created a NEW version of the Sigma Tile image with new code.   I will be publishing the information about this shortly... However, in the meantime, you can use the following link to get this latest disk image:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1B1PaztKs3maJ3gNjGcUymXSaM_k6HTZd

JonathonFowler
10-Marble

Thank you, I'll update to let you know if it solves the problem. Is there an updated workshop guide as well? Or should the old one work fine with this new disc image? 

Jon

JonathonFowler
10-Marble

Hi SergeRomano

I'm still getting the same problem with the new disc image, any idea what it could be? 

Jon

SergeRomano
6-Contributor

Well if you are still getting the rainbow screen and when you use the HDMI port on the SIgma Tile you still see a rainbow screen you may have a defective Sense Hat or a defective Raspberry Pi.

We have seen this problem with defective Sense Hat, and/or with lose connections between the Sense Hat and the Raspberry Pi.  You may have to order a new one of each.

JonathonFowler
10-Marble

Pi and SenseHat work fine. I have installed a fresh version of Rasbian onto the device and set it up manually and everything is working fine now. There must either be a problem with the disc image, win32DiscImager, or SDCardFormatter.

jamesso
10-Marble

@JonathonFowler How did you set it up manually? Using the Github site?

https://github.com/PTCInc/mfg-tile

jamesso
10-Marble

@SergeRomano

Can a person buy the PTC Sigma Tile Kit shown in this video: https://vimeo.com/250764593

JonathonFowler
10-Marble

Hi @jamesso,

Yes, you can either ssh into the Pi and install it that way, or just access that website on the Pi itself and download it straight onto it. As far as buying the Tile Kit goes, I think you have to buy all the parts separately (Raspberry Pi, Sense Hat are the only components you need to get it all up and running). It is worth noting the only part of code the documentation seems to miss out on appendix A is "sudo apt-get install python-twisted" which is required for the functionality between the device and KEPServer.

jamesso
10-Marble

Yes, I know I can assemble the kit myself -- have done so without the 3D printed case. But the way the video shows it, I was wondering if there was a source to get the package of 2 tiles with a wireless router and assorted peripherals.

SergeRomano
6-Contributor

By source, do you mean the Bill of Materials and STL files to make the case and kit yourself?

jamesso
10-Marble

Any estimate on when the new version and any new documentation about it will become available?

I am interested in a version where I can load in the sigma tile extensions zip into ThingWorx and see it work properly. I could not get it to work when I tried in December 2017.