cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Miscellaneous Monday - To sit or not to sit... that is NOT the question!

FunManAndy
8-Gravel

Miscellaneous Monday - To sit or not to sit... that is NOT the question!

Standing Desks Are AWESOME! 🪑

It was around mid-2019 when I started to take standing desks more seriously than I ever had before. Prior to that I'd always dabbled a bit, but now it is very much part & parcel of work life. It's really helped with my back troubles and helps me maintain a focus by keeping my body constantly alert. It is definitely burning more calories (so i can eat more, LOL) and overall I just feel so much better for it.
[the truth behind standing desks, as per Harvard's Research is that it's only slightly more...]

Recently I lucked out with a online deal and found the most perfect desk to put into the home office (replacing the old make shift DIY version I used since the beginning of lockdown in 2020). But standing is not for everyone...

FunManAndy_1-1631547606548.png

Loving My New Set Up 💖👏

Not too big... not too small... just right. And with the perfectly sized fold away bar stool (2nd hand, dirt cheap, happy days!) it's absolute heaven. I personally believe that having a great environment to work in is essential to being productive, efficient, effective and happy in everything we do, so to have taken this to the next level is just ACES!!

I know that John Kern, co-author of the agile manifesto not only swears by standing desk, he is also using a treadmill to help him WALK his way through his work. The last time we spoke, I was hosting him at an Atlassian Community Event and as he joined us at 9:30am his time, he had already powered his way through 3,000 steps!!
But I reiterate... it's not for everyone 😉

FunManAndy_2-1631548009494.png

What Is Your Ideal Working Environment?

So, it's clear: I am now firmly a fan of standing. But I still do sit... a lot! However there are soooo many other options out there.
In the 15 years I've been in and out of countless offices across the world, I have seen such insane variety when it comes to how people complete their work.
For you yourself, how do you approach it?
Is there a place of zen you go to when you are working? Is it standing or sitting for you? A lot of people are really into the cycling-seats or under-desk-treadmills (like Jon!)... but maybe your a Swiss-ball kind of worker?
Let us know here on Community what you do and how and let us all be inspired in best practices. 

FunManAndy_3-1631548794135.jpeg

4 REPLIES 4
olivierlp
Community Manager
(To:FunManAndy)

Hu @FunManAndy     I don't know about best practice, but on occasion, I work from a computer tray on a chair, next to an ipad. Works for me!

olivierlp_0-1631567028228.png

Olivier
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:olivierlp)

Question is.... are the eyes open?    🙂

olivierlp
Community Manager
(To:Dale_Rosema)

Hopefully yes!  😁

Olivier

I love that way of working @olivierlp - helps break up the monotony. I am real lucky. Have a sofa in my home office. I tend to do long meetings (of which I am not hosting) from there. Real nice and comfy.
Love the guitar near by. Always good to have creativity within arms reach!

Top Tags