Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creo drawing datum curve from equation inaccurately

SOLVED

Re: Creo drawing datum curve from equation inaccurately

Accuracy used to have a big effect on file size.  I remember doing a test with different size cubes and the file size of a 1000" cube was mammoth compared to a 1" cube when absolute accuracy was enabled.  I just did a quick test in Creo 6 and that doesn't appear to be the case any longer.  PTC product managers are actually recommending absolute accuracy now but they are hesitant to make that the default, out-of-the-box behavior.

Creo has a number of "hidden" config.pro settings, some of them very important, and I agree with you about some of them.  I think they do that so that only experts get in there and change the hidden config settings, because you can get yourself into a bunch of trouble if you don't know what the results will be.  Like I said, these are issues new users run into, it's to be expected.  That's why you can come here and find answers.  when i started Pro/E back in late '95 or so (community college) and even in the early days, there was no forum to learn from, only the HUGE stack of PTC's manuals for the software (I REALLY miss those).  So, it was a lot tougher to learn, and you mostly had to figure things out for yourself.

Usually you get the weird numbers when there are other features, I don't remember seeing anything like that with the first feature with the settings I have, but my config.pro is going to be unique.

As to "why", that's up to the code-monkey's, you'd have to ask them.

Interesting, I never tested just different sized cubes (did you have mass properties assigned?), but I did test the same geometry with different accuracy settings and noticed a difference, sometimes a big one.  You would EXPECT that with different accuracy levels, on complex parts (especially complex surfaces) that there would be a big difference in file size.  I would expect little difference in file size from a 1" cube to a 1000" cube as it can be tessellated into 12 triangles.  Interesting...

I wonder what Creo 6 did to change things?  Like I said, with complex parts/surfaces, you'd expect a big change in file size.

Announcements
LiveWorx Call For Papers Happening Now!