cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Help with modeling the Bosch IXO

ghertyish
1-Newbie

Help with modeling the Bosch IXO

Hi, i've been tasked with modeling the Bosch IXO (http://www.independent.co.uk/migration_catalog/article5118731.ece/ALTERNATES/w620/No41.jpeg). I've made a start but i'm not sure if i'm going about it the right way. I was just looking for any advice from more experienced modellers. This is how i've started: http://i.imgur.com/rJb4esk.png.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

Welcome to the forum, James.

There are many levels of "duplication" that can be applied.

If you just want to make it look something like the original, you are going at it in the right way. However, making pictures without perspective is an art in itself. I once took pictures from across the yard with a high zoom just to get rid of as much perspective as I could.

But if I was reverse engineering an object like this, I would be taking it apart and tapping my engineering skills about such things to make a "me too" product. It certainly wouldn't be a copy.

So if the task is to have a model of the Bosch unit for instructions or whatever else in 3D CAD, I would still use both methods to get a close to accurate version. If you can't lay your hands on a unit, or have the joy of dissecting one, you might have a harder time getting a significant level of accuracy.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:ghertyish)

The real question is: To what level of detail? Are you making an exact copy of all internal details as an assembly, or a simple representation of the outer surfaces? If the latter, have it scanned maybe?

It needs to be an assembly of the parts though it doesnt need any ribbing or internal electronics, however it does need wall thicknesses. Unfortunately I don't have access to any 3D scanners .

There are many companies that provide 3D scanning services. You might even get a loaner demo if your company will allow that. Sounds like you will be 3D printing the unit?

Someone has received a file, maybe even from Bosch to make this video:

http://vimeo.com/16216930

Always worth asking Bosch if they will provide a 3D model for you.

Thanks for the input and that video looks interesting, but its a university project not a company assignment and my lecturers probably wouldn't be too happy if I got a premade model from Bosch though we'll see when I get closer to the deadline, haha.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:ghertyish)

Is this an assembly of sorts?

If so, I would make the silver piece a revolve with an extrusion at the bottom.

The black piece in the front could also be a revolve.

I do not have enough of a surfacing background to advise you on more of the body.

Obivously, the direction pin could be either a revolve or better yet, a circle extruded.

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags