cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Client Side Workspace Cache Encrypted?

akelly
11-Garnet

Client Side Workspace Cache Encrypted?

Cross-posted in the WCCI forum

With Pro/Engineer Wildfire 4 and PDMLink 10, are the contents of the client-side workspace cache encrypted?

In the middle of an internal discussion about whether the Pro/Engineerclient side cache should be located onthelocalhard driveor a network drive.

IT says moving the Pro/Engineer client side cache to a network drive mitigates the risk of a hard drive failure. I know that with Pro/Intralink 3.x, there were various ways for either another user to access someone's workspaces or to access a workspace from another computer.

I remember reading thatWindchill's Pro/Engineerclient side cache form the is encrypted and that the only way to access it is on the computer and user id that created it. I can't find a reference to it right now. Am I making this up?

TIA

--Andrew

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

You have essentially two questions, encryption of the local cache, and can the cache be remote.

Remote cache
============
The cache does not have to be local to the machine. We have a network with diskless workstations. I have a standard Dell t5400, but it has no hard drive. It boots off a drive image in the server room. On those machines I point the cache to the users working directory for ProE. You obviously want a fast network if you're going to put the cache remote from the computer. We have a gigabit network with optical cable. Still you're going to take a performance hit, and it's going to be significant.

Encryption of the local cache
Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags