cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perpetual Licenses No Longer Available After January 1, 2018

Highlighted
Emerald I

Perpetual Licenses No Longer Available After January 1, 2018

For those who haven't seen it yet, PTC has officially announced that perpetual licenses will no longer be available for purchase starting January 1, 2018.

"...effective January 1, 2018, new software licenses for its core solutions and ThingWorx platform will be available only by subscription in the Americas and Western Europe. Customers in these regions may continue to use their existing perpetual licenses and renew support on active licenses."

Yes, this includes Creo, Windchill, etc.  The only exception is Kepware.

Additional information available here:

Tags (2)
73 REPLIES 73
Highlighted

Re: Perpetual Licenses No Longer Available After January 1, 2018

Thanks for the information Tom.

Marco
Highlighted

So the new user base is going to slow in growth after that.

Highlighted

It already has slowed!

I'm just glad I have extra license that only need maintenance renewed to bring them up to date if we hire more designers.

Highlighted

I just want to thank PTC (sarcastically) for doing this, of course for my benefit (as a VAR recently stated).

I don't know why I am (a little) surprised that PTC would follow along what other vendors are doing instead of staying on a path that give customers the option to do subscriptions or not. Does anyone else remember the days when PTC was the "leader" of the market where others would follow there lead?

Subscriptions MAY have some benefit to the large customers with hundreds of users, but, for the small businesses (at least mine) I see NO benefit AT ALL! My company would rather pay the over priced initial purchase to "own" the software, along with the over priced maintenance each year, instead of the subscription renewals. Speaking of yearly subscription renewal, the last I was told it was going to be year to year (or multi year), so what is the difference from the perpetual renewal? Whatever happen to the slogan PTC kept using when CREO was first introduced, ANY SOFTWARE, ANY TIME, ONLY PAY WHAT FOR WHAT YOU NEED WHEN YOU NEED IT?

Subscriptions FORCE me to pay at renewal or else I cannot use the software anymore, but, at least with the perpetual I have the option of saving money each year by skipping maintenance, especially if there is no new release worth switching too... Again, my company would rather pay the over priced up front cost.... PTC, do you really understand your Small Business customer needs? Do your VARs, and are they telling you what customers say or what you want to hear?

Ideally I was hoping for a combination of perpetual and subscription at the same time. For example my base package license to be perpetual and any additional module (app) would be subscription, such as PRO/CABLE, since I may not need/use that for more then 6 months at a time.

Thanks PTC. You just gave my management another reason to question why are we use PRO/E and Windchill (and don't even get me started on Windchill and how it is NOT A SMALL BUSINESS solution for CAD PDM)

Highlighted

Anyone know if PTC will allow access to a perpetual code that I already bought years ago when my computer eventually dies? I do not have active maintence. This whole subscription deal simply stated...sucks. I have 2.0 on my laptop and ZERO of my clients run 3 or 4 so there is/was no real need, nor does it help me to upgrade. So, I simply will have to bite the subscription bullet when and if my client base moves up. But, I already paid for 2.0 and would need to continue to run it until I am forced up by clients. Anyone know if I will be able to get my 2.0 access without being fleeced by PTC?

Highlighted

Yes, you can continue to access and use any perpetual licenses you already own, PTC just isn't selling any new ones after the beginning of the year.  Going forward you can continue to pay maintenance on these perpetual licenses, just know that the yearly maintenance increase will be much higher than the subscription increase.  I would expect that eventually the annual maintenance on existing products will cost more than what a brand new subscription costs.

Also keep in mind that with a subscription license, if you stop the subscription you lose the ability to run the product at all.  With perpetual licenses you do not have this same loss of access to your intellectual property.

Highlighted

Hi,

(valid for now) if you do not pay maintenance and your PC dies then you can move your perpetual license to new PC for free.

Martin Hanák
Highlighted

Thanks Tom,

Yeah, I suspected the same thing. Being in the Pro/E game since 1987 I have seen the slimy side of sticking it to the customer all too much over those three decades. It's easy to see, eventually, PTC would drive the cost to buy/maintain so high in a couple years that it will be a fools errand to use anything else but a subscription. So, after year 2/3/4 depending on the functionality required in each license, the software will cost more each year to use making the shareholders quite happy, no doubt. It's just the way it goes as the price of doing business.

But on a good note, after much contemplation (and a delicious Thanksgiving dinner) over the weekend, I have purchased a competitors product that does not require a subscription that allows me to do everything I need to for my design work. PTC, you have competition and I purchased one for substantially less money than yours. The best part is, it was knowing nobody's hands will be in my pocket next year looking to keep their gravy train rolling. Sure there are a few hurdles to contend with...but that is well worth the cost savings to me.

Highlighted

The urge to be sarcastic is almost overwhelming. But I have kudos points and last time I looked I was a Spaceman or Moon Rocket or something. So I have to be grown up.

I've been on about this for months

PTC have shown no evidence that they care about small companies.

I have reopened my case

Can anyone confirm or correct the following?

• If you are 1 day late with your maintenance then you are off perpetual and onto subscription.  Zero lattitude.
  • PTC have rescoped the standard license so it does NOT have contact. Anyone studying assemblies must get the Advanced subscription. Anyone wanting finite friction for the extra money will find it doesn't work.
  • Perpetual licenses will NOT receive new functionality. To get this one has to change to subscription.
  • PTC will increase maintenance cost unreasonably so as to make it difficult not to move to subscription
  • PTC have not acknowledged that small business carry much greater risk. The incremental subscription costs as a consequence of delays to projects outside their control could damage or even sink them.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.