cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Alarms and events in thingworx

Shivaji
9-Granite

Alarms and events in thingworx

Hi,

We are migrating from axeda to thingworx. Axeda had alarms and events separate and we can define severity as well. Thingworx does not have concept called alarms. I have seen alerts but that cannot be triggered from edge using SDK (I guess). 

On thingworx platform there is no way to see events associated with a thing. All the events are listed inside script logs. So here are the questions.

How do we show events specific to a thing along with severity of the event?

How do we display alarms similar to axeda in thingworx? Can alerts be served as alarms? How to trigger them from edge device?

Please have a look at the attached image for a sample what I am looking for.

4 REPLIES 4

Well I don't know nothing about Axeda, but here just my two cents on ThingWorx side:

• Events --> In thingworks Events are memory only events, it's part of the runtime it aren't logged they are used to execute subscriptions when they are triggered --> No storage related to it.
  • Alerts --> You can set Alert conditions to ThingWorx properties (like if property value it bigger than whatever throw an alert and alike ). Those alers are stored on special ThingWorx storage and you can see them on Monitor Alert Summary ( Alerts, Unacknowledged, Acknowledget), you can also interact with them ( acknowledge and alike). You can also deal with alerts programatically with Thing's special Alert services. As you can see, Alerts are property based --> this implies that you must have a property to have an alert based on that property, you don't have Thing's wide alert
  • Logs --> Typical log messages that any platform has, it are stored as text files on the server, you can add log messages based on where they did come from (Application, Scripts,  Communication, Configuration and Security) and also each log entry can be categorized by level (ERROR, WARNING, INFO, DEBUG, TRACE ) you have code snippets and services for that.

I don't think that any of them fits exactly with your requirements, maybe better you create a Stream for Alerts and another Stream for Events, and just record your data onto it and get ride of the previous ones.

Best Regards,

Carles.

pujasaha
6-Contributor
(To:CarlesColl)

Hi,

I read the response on this thread. Please can you elaborate more on the Stream for Alerts and Stream for Events.

We are basically trying to trigger Events and Alerts from the Edge device using .NET SDK. Any inputs to achieve this programmatically will be appreciated.

Thanks

To trigger an Event on ThingWorks you have to call the Event name (defined at Thing/ThingShape/ThingTemplate level) as a standard Service Call.

To throw an alert programatically you may use the Thing's AddOrUpdateAlert on a property.

pujasaha
6-Contributor
(To:CarlesColl)

Thanks. Would you be able to provide a sample code snippet?

Top Tags