cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Displaying a Modal Popup on iPad (iOS 14 Webkit)

gbirnzain
10-Marble

Displaying a Modal Popup on iPad (iOS 14 Webkit)

After comparing the performance of displaying a modal popup on a windows device and an iOS device we came to the conclusion that displaying the modal popup on iOS devices leads to performance and stability issues. 

Comparison test: displaying an empty modal popup on iOS and Windows Chrome

on iOS it took approx. 20 sec for the user interface to be responsible again (after the input it often crashed, and the page had to be refreshed)

on Windows the modal page is loaded immediately

10 REPLIES 10

After our initial bughunting with @gbirnzain yesterday I investigated a bit further today and the problem seems to not only occur on new versions of iPadOS but also macOS. I tested in Safari on iPadOS 13.7 & 14.2 as well as on macOS Catalina and BigSur, and both on macOS BigSur as well as iPadOS 14.2 the same behavior can be observed.

Below is a screenshot of the tracing from the iPad:
1) tapped the popup-close button 2) iPad reacted to touch again 3) normal input possible again1) tapped the popup-close button 2) iPad reacted to touch again 3) normal input possible again

1) I close the popup here, which freezes the browser for almost 20 seconds
2) popup is now closed, interactions possible again
3) another, random interaction with the page to verfiy it's working as before

Other finds that may be interesting:

• the Webkit thread does not seem to be doing any work during the freeze, only the main thread is running at 100%
  • behavior did not change noticeably when closing an empty widget vs. one with content on it
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:gbirnzain)

Hi @gbirnzain and @felix.gruber .

What version of ThingWorx are you running?  What version of Safari?  Some improvements were made in ThingWorx 9.0.  However, since iOS 14 is so new, there may be issues we are not yet aware of.

We may need to open a case for this, so I need specifics regarding your system configuration, such as the O/S version you're running, etc.

Regards.

--Sharon

felix.gruber
4-Participant
(To:slangley)

Hi @slangley! I did the tests on devices with the following configurations:

1st gen iPad Pro:

- iPadOS version 14.2 (18B91)

- Safari is therefore also on the newest available version

2015 iMac 5k:

- macOS Big Sur Beta 11.0.1 (20B5015d)

- Safari 14.0.1 (16610.2.11.51.4)

Our clients' Thingworx installation is currently at 8.5.5-b103. Could this be the whole issue?

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:felix.gruber)

Hi @felix.gruber.

Unfortunately, there are a number of iOS issues affecting the pre-9.0 releases and since iOS 14 was not available at that time, no testing was completed for validating the behavior.

We are continuing to make improvements with each new release, but there are no plans to address issues in the older releases.

In regard to the issues experienced running Safari on Mac OS 10, have you tried with another browser?  If would be interesting to see if you have the same problems or not.

Regards.

--Sharon

Hi!

Unfortunately the issue is still occurring in ThingWorx 9.1.0b10877. 

Opening a modal popup on devices iOS 14 crashes the browser. This issue is pretty severe and we need an fix for this issue as soon as possible, keeping in mind that we already reported the bug last year.

Looking forward to your reply.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @gbirnzain.

Thank you for your follow-up on this.  I will do some research to see if this has been reported to R&D and if not, will open a new ticket.

Would it be possible for you to provide your mashup?

Regards.

--Sharon

pjahn
16-Pearl
(To:slangley)

Is a case open now for this?

The default navigation widget - open in in modal window - is used.

Currenlty the latest ThingWorx and latest iOS version are used.

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:pjahn)

Hi @pjahn.

We have received varying reports around the behavior under this scenario.  Please provide specifics of your problem and the mashup.

Regards.

--Sharon

The mashup contains a standard Navigation Link to another mashup that will open it as a Modal Popup. I attached the mashups to this post. 

Here are the specifics: 

As stated three posts up it is ThingWorx 9.1.0b10877 and iOS 14. 

Steps to reproduce the issue: 

1.) click the link 

Issue description: 

The modal window freezes and the webpage becomes unresponsive.

I hope I made a clear case. Feel free to contact me (the developers) should any questions arise.

Cheers

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @gbirnzain.

We tested this but weren't able to recreate your issue, assuming you meant to click the button as opposed to the "link."

We tested iOS 14.1 and 14.4 on iPad.  We also tested 14.4 on iPhone 10.  Which version are you running?  Which iOS device are you using?  Do you have enough space available on your device?  You might trying closing some apps if you have a lot running.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags