cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Excessive amount of ApplicationLog entries "Received xx Pushed Properties = ......"

Rutger
8-Gravel

Excessive amount of ApplicationLog entries "Received xx Pushed Properties = ......"

Within our ApplicationLog of ThingWorx 9.1 there are many many entries with a log message from the RemoteThing starting with "Received [number] Pushed Properties = ......". There are approximately 50 entries per second!

These entries show us the pushes from our KEPServerEX towards ThingWorx. But because of the excessive amount, they make the ApplicationLog useless.

Is there anyway we can switch this event logging off?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:slangley)

Hi @Rutger.

I know of no way to kill the RemoteThing log entries.  The same recommendation stands--only use INFO level when you need to troubleshoot an issue.

Regards.

--Sharon

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

What is the log level for your ThingWorx ApplicationLog where you observed this?

Hi, the log level is 'Info'. We could increase this, but then we lose other info we need. But because of these entries, the log becomes useless on this level. 

So in someway we need to switch off these RemoteThing updates to make the ApplicationLog useful again.

Info level is not the standard log level, and it exposes you to potential situations where logs can be filled pretty quickly, like in this situation (even more if set to trace). If those INFO statements are the result of your own custom code, I strongly suggest to switch to WARN.

If those other INFO statements that you really need are the result of ThingWorx code, then I believe you need to modify the logback.xml file in ThingWorx to set the log level for that emitting class higher, probably WARN.

You'll need to identify the full name of the class from the existing Application Log entries. To do that, look in the Origin column, where you will see a shortened form of the class. At this point you need to access the Help Center Java API to see the full class names http://support.ptc.com/help/thingworx_hc/javadoc/allclasses-index.html

If you encounter an issue at this part,  please don't hesitate to open a Support Ticket if you need more structured support.

There's an article which explains how to do this, and a help center entry.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS323112?language=en&posno=13&q=logback%20xml%20thingworx&source=search

https://support.ptc.com/help/thingworx/platform/r9/en/index.html#page/ThingWorx/Help/Composer/System/Logs/configuringlogging.html

Does this mean that we can't kill (or dump) the logging of the RemoteThing? 

As I understand the only way is to increase the level of certain 'info' logging to make them visible at WARN level?

For our application, it would be far more efficient to get rid of the "Received [number] Pushed Properties = ......" entries or suppress them.

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:Rutger)

Hi @Rutger.

What INFO level messages are coming in that you need?  As Vladimir stated, WARN is the default and the recommended setting unless you need to troubleshoot an issue.

Regards.

--Sharon

Hi @slangley,

The main question is not about what we need for logging, it's about what we don't need for logging.

Yes, I understand we can upgrade level messages to WARN, and we will do so for some items in the meantime. But as long as the RemoteThing creates such a load of entries on the log, the INFO log is completely useless to us. And as long as you can't see what's in the INFO log, you also don't know what you are missing.

If there is no way to kill the INFO log from the RemoteThing, please tell me. 

With kind regards,

Rutger

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:slangley)

Hi @Rutger.

I know of no way to kill the RemoteThing log entries.  The same recommendation stands--only use INFO level when you need to troubleshoot an issue.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags