cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

How to use license in Thingworx 8.5.5 Linux Docker running in windows

BABA-SHYAM
14-Alexandrite

How to use license in Thingworx 8.5.5 Linux Docker running in windows

I was trying to install License for Thingworx 8.5.5 which is running on Linux docker installed on Azure VM. I didn't have ptc license management credentials with proper access on the portal.  I followed these steps as mentioned in below link.

https://github.com/babashyam3/Thingworx-8.5.5-Docker

Now after successfully launching Thingworx I was not able to change anything because license was not available. My challenge was not able to locate ThingworxPlatform folder in docker to get the PTC Device ID and put the "license_capability_response.bin" in that folder. Here's how I resolved this issue.

1. I got the PTC Device Id b running the service "GetInstanceId" which you can find under "Subsystem: LicensingSubsystem ( search "LicensingSubsystem" in search box in Thingworx".
2.  I asked for the "license_capability_response.bin" from someone who had proper access to get it using PTC Device ID.
3. Now using CMD in admin mode. I go to the folder where my "docker-compose-postgres.yml" file is situated. For example ( cd D:\Thingworx-DockerFile8-5-5\Thingworx-DockerFile8-5-5).
4. Now I put my "license_capability_response.bin" file under "C:\Users\babashyam\Downloads\Thingworx-DockerFile8-5-5" path.
5. Now identify your Volume name where ThingworxPlatform is running. Find attached filer where I opened the Docker Desktop, clicked on "
thingworx-dockerfile8-5-5"  container, click on inspect and scroll down to Mounts. 
6. After getting the volume name just execute below 3 commands

7. .  docker container create --name dummy -v 1f9f77a627fbca84b27efcdf323a2ecb4948b8b74403693aa24d2293add015c7:/root hello-world

8. docker cp C:\Users\babashyam\Downloads\Thingworx-DockerFile8-5-5\license_capability_response.bin dummy:/root/license_capability_response.bin

9. docker rm dummy

10. You won't see any output after running any of above commands. That's how you will validate if everything is ok.
11. Restart the container.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BABA-SHYAM
14-Alexandrite
(To:slangley)

Thanks Sharon

If you think that the approach which I describe here can solve the issue faced by many, please mark "Accept as solution" flag.

Regards

Shyam

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:BABA-SHYAM)

Hi @BABA-SHYAM.

Thank you for sharing your insights and solution around this issue.  Your participation in the community is greatly appreciated!

Regards.

--Sharon

BABA-SHYAM
14-Alexandrite
(To:slangley)

Thanks Sharon

If you think that the approach which I describe here can solve the issue faced by many, please mark "Accept as solution" flag.

Regards

Shyam

Top Tags