cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Organization login functionality

AP_9587236
17-Peridot

Organization login functionality

in organization page, how to disable copy & pasting functionality in password textbox.

7 REPLIES 7

I've just checked with 8.5 and 9.0 and copying from the password field is disabled.

Do you want to also disable pasting / inserting and enforce users to type in passwords manually?

Don't know your use case / reasoning behind this, but I personally don't see when / how is could be beneficial.

Yes i want to disable pasting / inserting and enforce users to type in passwords manually. Is that possible?

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:AP_9587236)

Hi @AP_9587236

What is the use case around this?  What is your security concern?

Regards.

--Sharon

allowing users to paste passwords might reduces security

What makes you think that pasting passwords reduces security? I'd say it is the opposite actually.

Not being able to paste a password means that a user would have to type it in manually, which tend to result in

- simpler and shorter passwords so they will be able to remember easier and enter faster

- if password strength is enforced, users would tend to write the passwords in text files on their desktops and/or on sticky notes around the workplace.

This is what reduces security.

A common way to avoid this is to store passwords in an external service / on a media - be it a simple Chrome password manager or some dedicated app like LastPass / Bitwarden, 1password - and allow the app to auto-fill the password for you.

"There is no free lunch", they say, and password managers have their cons / disadvantages too, but it's generally a way safer approach, and it's a security administrator 's job to promote / spread the culture of using it in the company.

After all, if not being able to paste passwords could increase security, you would likely not do it on most online services, or, at least, have an option to disable it.

Okay

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:AP_9587236)

Hi @AP_9587236

if you feel your question has been answered, please mark the appropriate response as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same question.

Regards.

--Sharon

Announcements

Top Tags