cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

System Metric Log clutter

Ike@ACE
13-Aquamarine

System Metric Log clutter

Every 30 minutes, without fail, my Application Log is inundated with 22 SystemMetricLogRepository messages at the Warning level. This can make it hard to read my own error logs and has become a source of frustration for me. Is there any way I can make it so that I don't see these logs, reduce them down to a single Debug/Trace level message that tells me the metrics were measured, or have them be set to the Debug/Trace level altogether so they are out of my usual log viewing level?

2 REPLIES 2
Rocko
17-Peridot
(To:Ike@ACE)

Have you tried in PlatformSubsystem disabling "in Metrics Reporting tab?

Otherwise you can try putting your own logback file, it is explained here: https://support.ptc.com/help/thingworx/platform/r9/en/index.html#page/ThingWorx/Help/Composer/System/Logs/configuringlogging.html

cmorfin
19-Tanzanite
(To:Ike@ACE)

There are 2 settings in platform-settings.json that should help:

MetricsLoggingFrequency:  defines the frequency at which those metrics are printed, default 30 min
MetricsLoggingLevel:  defines the loglevel at which they are printed, default to "WARN", So if you set this to INFO or DEBUG they will only show if ApplicationLog.log. is set to log level  INFO or DEBUG .
For an example of where exactly to set them in platform-settings.json see 
platform-settings.json Configuration Details (ptc.com)

Note though that I would strongly recommend to leave them as is on a production server. Those metrics are very useful to check the health of a server and can be critical in investigating some type of issues. So that may be okay to lower them on a dev server where you may want to see other more relevant messages, but on production server those metrics can prove very useful.

Hope this helps

Christophe

Top Tags