cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Thingworx Remote thing subscription

SK_9989757
5-Regular Member

Thingworx Remote thing subscription

When using any data change input to Subscription to update a same property, say a JSON or an INFOTABLE, will that work synchronously for any given remote things. Because if all the property change in a very short  span of time(sometimes no difference in time at all), will it overwrite the JSON or INFOTABLE? What is the best way to do the modelling in this case?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:SK_9989757)

Like I mentioned, if there is at least several miliseconds between updates, you should be ok.

Set data change to Always because infotables types including JSON may not always trigger an update on Value because if the number of rows is the same, that isn't necessarily perceived as a value change, but it is an update that will trigger on always.

Batching the updates, would mean you send updates at a set time let's say once every minute with all the value changes that happened in that period, vs. sending information every time a value changes. So you are 'caching' them device side before transmitting them.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

Not sure how much control you have on the device side, but if you potentially have many fast value changes, maybe it is better to bind them individually, or else to batch the updates.

In general it should catch all the updates (if they are a few mili seconds apart). Make sure you set the 'DataChange' to Always vs. Value if you use a JSON or InfoTable

SK_9989757
5-Regular Member
(To:PaiChung)

@PaiChung 

We have created a large number of remote things out of same template.. all remote things getting its properties/tags from Kepware. So the update rate for each tag/ group varies depending upon the kind of sensor/ tool. So we have any data change subscription running in each remote thing to capture the data change and update the values in a JSON which is in turn used for other process. My doubt is if there is any possibility of this JSON getting overridden since the subscription can be called numerous times in a very short period of time. Can there be any chance of missing values here? 

May I know why we need to set the Data change to Always instead of Value incase of Infotable and JSON?

Also can you elaborate on 'batch the updates'. Thanks. 

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

Like I mentioned, if there is at least several miliseconds between updates, you should be ok.

Set data change to Always because infotables types including JSON may not always trigger an update on Value because if the number of rows is the same, that isn't necessarily perceived as a value change, but it is an update that will trigger on always.

Batching the updates, would mean you send updates at a set time let's say once every minute with all the value changes that happened in that period, vs. sending information every time a value changes. So you are 'caching' them device side before transmitting them.

Top Tags