cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Thingworx Test Instance failing to start-database related

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II

Thingworx Test Instance failing to start-database related

I have a Thingworx Navigate instance (RHEL) that will not start up. Here is the error:

2024-08-14 20:24:19.669+0000 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.ThingWorxBootstrapper] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [P: ] [T: main] *** CRITICAL ERROR ON STARTUP: Connections could not be acquired from the underlying datab
ase!
2024-08-14 20:24:19.669+0000 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.ThingWorxBootstrapper] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [P: ] [T: main] *** Web Application STATE is being set to ERROR! ***
2024-08-14 20:24:19.670+0000 [L: INFO] [O: c.t.s.ThingWorxServer] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [P: ] [T: main] >>>>>>> PLATFORM SHUTDOWN START <<<<<<<<<

This system is a clone. We have some custom apps in here and we are using a MS SQLServer DB which also has been cloned. So what should be changing is the host name of the Thingworx instance and its connection to a new database. 

I have updated the platform-settings.json with the new server host and port. I updated the encrypt.db.password in the keystore. I can verify that the username and password work since I can connect to it via SQLDeveloper. I can ping the DB and was able to connect via telnet to that host and port so pretty sure there is not a firewall block. Any other places I should look or tests I can do to see why its failing?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:avillanueva)

I believe we can close this. Turns out there was a typo in my URL string for connecting to the database that I missed. Also, DBA configured ssl connections which was different than my production system so additional changes. For reference when SQLServer requires SSL, this is what worked:

"jdbcUrl": "jdbc:sqlserver://<host>:<port>;ssl=required maxStatements=0;databaseName=ThingWorx;applicationName=Thingworx;",

I am sure the DB connected since it got further. On to licensing issues.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@avillanueva ,  Have you reviewed the articles available?

Because you said this environment is a clone, has the necessary access to the environment been verified that the environments allow communications between systems?  Are you getting licensing errors?

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:PEHOWE)

Yes, I have tried those noted in my first post. I am using SQLServer not postgresql. Is there a way to turn on debug logging in the logs to see more details about which part of the connection it does not like?

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II

Follow up. I read this article: https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS285545?source=search

and tried the connection class. No issues connecting to the database. This eliminates and firewall, blocks or other things stopping connection to this database.  I was not surprised by this but this means I need to focus more on the ThingWorx configuration as to why it is not working or where its trying to connect to.

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II

I believe we can close this. Turns out there was a typo in my URL string for connecting to the database that I missed. Also, DBA configured ssl connections which was different than my production system so additional changes. For reference when SQLServer requires SSL, this is what worked:

"jdbcUrl": "jdbc:sqlserver://<host>:<port>;ssl=required maxStatements=0;databaseName=ThingWorx;applicationName=Thingworx;",

I am sure the DB connected since it got further. On to licensing issues.

Announcements

Top Tags