cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Access restricted for Reports

Aaronm87
12-Amethyst

Access restricted for Reports

I just created a report to list all part instances (using wt.part.WTProductInstance2). The report works fine as the admin, but when I run as a user I get the following error.

ERROR: Access is restricted for this user. Nested exception is: wt.query.template.invalidQML.exception. Access is restricted for this user.

I have a report admin group generated to give permissions  (https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS292726) but users still cannot run this report. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DmitryC
12-Amethyst
(To:DmitryC)

I've had another look at this and it was CPS11.

Here's the response I've got from PTC support:

R&D team has checked that the code modification is due to SPR 7203507 that is related to product security. Till now other customers who also meet this issue after installing CPS11 or later version are all using the workaround. Till now R&D team doesn’t have plan to fix it.

Totally R&D provide below three workaround cases. For the new reports I think we can use case2 and then we don’t need to restart methodserver. Using case 1 and case 3 need to restart methodserver. You can have a try about the case 2. Thanks.

Below are the use cases and workaround wherever possible (Here, "temp1", "temp2" and "temp3" are the report template names. "Site" is a site context. "CRT" is an organization):

CASE 1: Report template "temp1" created with the 3 options enabled (viz: Distinct, Group By and Bypass Access Control) by SiteAdmin in Site.
Observation: Report can be viewed by SiteAdmin. However, any other user say OrgAdmin gets an error saying access is restricted.
Workaround:
1. Open <windchill>/codebase/registry/wt/query/template/OOTB_ReportTemplates_advanced.xml with editor.
2. Add below in the as is format to the file and save it.
<ReportTemplateInfo>
<Name>temp1</Name>
<Container>Site</Container>
<Organization></Organization>
</ReportTemplateInfo>
3. Restart Method server.

CASE 2: Report template "temp2" created with the 3 options enabled (viz: Distinct, Group By and Bypass Access Control) by OrgAdmin in CRT.
Observation: This case has no issues and the reports can be viewed by OrgAdmin or any other user having access to Report Management.

CASE 3: Report template "temp3" created with the 3 options enabled (viz: Distinct, Group By and Bypass Access Control) by SiteAdmin in CRT.
Observation: Report can be viewed by SiteAdmin. However, OrgAdmin gets an error saying access is restricted.
Workaround:
1. Open <windchill>/codebase/registry/wt/query/template/OOTB_ReportTemplates_advanced.xml with editor.
<ReportTemplateInfo>
<Name>temp3</Name>
<Container></Container>
<Organization>CRT</Organization>
</ReportTemplateInfo>

Kind regards,

Dmitry

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
DmitryC
12-Amethyst
(To:Aaronm87)

Hi,

Have you tried option #3 (Configure the report template as an advanced report template) in the same article?

That fixed all issues in our case. For some reason, wt.query.template.unrestrictedGroups stopped working after a certain CPS (11.0 M30) for me.

Kind regards,

Dmitry

DmitryC
12-Amethyst

I've had another look at this and it was CPS11.

Here's the response I've got from PTC support:

R&D team has checked that the code modification is due to SPR 7203507 that is related to product security. Till now other customers who also meet this issue after installing CPS11 or later version are all using the workaround. Till now R&D team doesn’t have plan to fix it.

Totally R&D provide below three workaround cases. For the new reports I think we can use case2 and then we don’t need to restart methodserver. Using case 1 and case 3 need to restart methodserver. You can have a try about the case 2. Thanks.

Below are the use cases and workaround wherever possible (Here, "temp1", "temp2" and "temp3" are the report template names. "Site" is a site context. "CRT" is an organization):

CASE 1: Report template "temp1" created with the 3 options enabled (viz: Distinct, Group By and Bypass Access Control) by SiteAdmin in Site.
Observation: Report can be viewed by SiteAdmin. However, any other user say OrgAdmin gets an error saying access is restricted.
Workaround:
<ReportTemplateInfo>
<Name>temp1</Name>
<Container>Site</Container>
<Organization></Organization>
</ReportTemplateInfo>

CASE 2: Report template "temp2" created with the 3 options enabled (viz: Distinct, Group By and Bypass Access Control) by OrgAdmin in CRT.
Observation: This case has no issues and the reports can be viewed by OrgAdmin or any other user having access to Report Management.

CASE 3: Report template "temp3" created with the 3 options enabled (viz: Distinct, Group By and Bypass Access Control) by SiteAdmin in CRT.
Observation: Report can be viewed by SiteAdmin. However, OrgAdmin gets an error saying access is restricted.
Workaround:
<ReportTemplateInfo>
<Name>temp3</Name>
<Container></Container>
<Organization>CRT</Organization>
</ReportTemplateInfo>

Kind regards,

Dmitry

Aaronm87
12-Amethyst

Thanks! That worked Perfectly! Apparently I already solved this problem and forgot...I found previous reports added to this list 😂

Top Tags