cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Way to manage assigned expressions on usage links

TomM
12-Amethyst

Way to manage assigned expressions on usage links

Hi,

Is there a way to import a spreadsheet file to assign and/or update assigned expressions on usage links of parts for certain configurable modules/end items?

I know you can export/import part structures in general, which has been quoted here for example. And I think I've read somewhere in the Windchill Help that this can include assigned expressions. However, I think that the basic way can only carry the expressions on items, not usage links. That is, if any at all.

Use case - it's much easier and quicker to analyse and tweak configuration logic in spreadsheets, plus people who do this don't use Windchill at all. In case of thousands of items, which also happen to have different rules based on type of a product they're used in, updating logic for each is unbearable.

I've automated spreadsheet rule generation process but then whenever changes happen I'd have to know which items were affected (easy to do) and go through the list of thousands of items dozens of times (various products) and edit each expression (extremely time consuming and error-prone).

edit: There's a way to export the structure with usage expressions (Export List to XLS Report). But then, is it possible for example to combine it with importable spreadsheet and based off of that update configurable modules?

edit2:

Here is an old post pretty much asking the same question, sadly not answered. @ahogendoorn Did you find a solution, perhaps? 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Fadel
22-Sapphire I
(To:TomM)

Hi , I don't think we can import usage expression using spreadsheet , we van use loadfromfile https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/cs322973 

Fede

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Fadel
22-Sapphire I
(To:TomM)

Hi , I don't think we can import usage expression using spreadsheet , we van use loadfromfile https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/cs322973 

Fede
TomM
12-Amethyst
(To:Fadel)

Hi Fadel,

Thanks for the reply! I've found the same thing last friday and been waiting for a response from our PLM admin before posting. 

Yeah, it seems it's either what you've linked or manual work... I'm a sad panda right now. I'm seriously wondering why this is the case? Logic driving configuration is usually huge, sometimes complex and it's best managed in spreadsheets (for bulk edits and scripting). We can export the logic but we can't import it, at least not without admin intervention? Seriously...

By the way @Fadel can this functionality be used "on a daily basis" or is it devoted to data migration to new release or something else out of the ordinary?

Well, thank you for taking the time to give me the answer. 

Top Tags